Do i need to adjust my PH...if so, how to do it safely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPA

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am about a week into a new 38g tank and just went through my first round of water testing. As expected my ammonia was high (~.5ppm), but I was surprised to see that my PH was also very high (at least a 7.6).

What do i do about this? I've heard from other threads that adjusting your PH using chemicals can be bad for your fish (I am doing my cycle with fish). But the high PH can't be good for them either (and i've already lost 2/6 of them).

Any suggestions or advice?

Also, not sure if it's relevant, but I have 4 plants in the aquarium right now and two medium-sized pieces of driftwood.

Thanks!

ph of 7.6 isnt high. my tap water is 7.8-8. Dont mess with the ph, especially with chemicals... Is it stable at 7.6 or is it bouncing? Poor oxygen exchange and poor water parameters will cause the ph to bounce, but if it is steady, it is fine

Ammonia is a base and can cause high pH. When I was fishless cycling my tank, I did a high range pH test just for kicks and the pH was off the chart, I think 8.6+, with about 8ppm ammonia.

First, if you're cycling with fish, you need to do a LOT of partial water changes. 50% every other day, or as soon as you see the ammonia levels rise. It won't hurt the cycle much and your fish have a much better chance of surviving.

I agree with mfdrookie. 7.6 isn't very high. My tap water is 7.6-8. My tanks are usually in 7.4-7.6, right in that gap between the regular pH test and the high pH test.

Echoing what others had said, no need to mess with pH of 7.6. My tank is 7.8 & everything is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom