Do i need to cycle my shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! Soon I'll have an empty ten gallon and I would live to make it a shrimp tank. Do I need to cycle it? Or do shrimp not have much of a bioload? I'll have about 20 shrimp.

But once it cycles they will hardly have a bioload and won't the tank "uncylce" because there's not a big ammonia source?

They will keep a cycle anyway. I kept 20 in a 10g and it remained established. If youre worried you can add some harmless snails like ramshorns. Fish are ok if you dont mind shrimplets getting eaten

Well this will be for breeding and selling so no fish. So an apple snail with 20 shrimp will do?

SwimsWithFish said:
But once it cycles they will hardly have a bioload and won't the tank "uncylce" because there's not a big ammonia source?

The colony will adjust to the bioload with the shrimp in there. And if you're fishless cycling you don't need to go all the way too 4ppm.

SwimsWithFish said:
Well this will be for breeding and selling so no fish. So an apple snail with 20 shrimp will do?

If i put one of my mysteries in there, i would expect it to eat adults! I wouldnt suggest it

As gaby said, you aren't going to 'lose' a cycle, the bacteria will adjust to the bioload. I'm not sure why everyone thinks that a tank will un-cycle if it doesn't have a big ammonia source, I can only speculate that it may be because of the ppm #'s thrown around during a fishless cycle. Either way, it'll be fine, just let it get established, the more stable the parameters the better.

When I first started my shrimp tank(s) I tossed shrimp in with plants, and they did o.k., but others did not. It was pretty hit and miss, but I did notice after a few months the tanks all did well, so take it for what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom