Do rummy nose tetra change color with water conditions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jferrante

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard that their nose gets bright red if the conditions are great and get pale if they are not. I saw this in my 55g tank after a 50% water change. I have three 5 gallon buckets and filled two with water close to temp and like 2-3ml of prime each and let them sit for three hours. and obviously the 8 or so gallons in them is not a 50% of a 55 gallon so after I drained 50% I would add the rest with less time to sit but I did turn of my filter and heater and gave it few minutes to equalize the temp and mix in before turning on the filter. The temp dropped a couple of degrees though so the fish were hovering on the bottom for about a 15 mins then they returned to normal. one fish is pale almost all the time so I'm not sure if he's just the one that's stressed or if that's just how he is.
I'm doing an unintentional fish-in cycle thats 2 weeks in and have 9 different types of plants and all several conditioners like stresszyme and stability to help it get along.
I'm just curious if rummy nose tetras do this normally of if it was simply my setting on my Satellite LED PLUs making some seem less red nosed as the others.

I've heard that their nose gets bright red if the conditions are great and get pale if they are not. I saw this in my 55g tank after a 50% water change. I have three 5 gallon buckets and filled two with water close to temp and like 2-3ml of prime each and let them sit for three hours. and obviously the 8 or so gallons in them is not a 50% of a 55 gallon so after I drained 50% I would add the rest with less time to sit but I did turn of my filter and heater and gave it few minutes to equalize the temp and mix in before turning on the filter. The temp dropped a couple of degrees though so the fish were hovering on the bottom for about a 15 mins then they returned to normal. one fish is pale almost all the time so I'm not sure if he's just the one that's stressed or if that's just how he is.
I'm doing an unintentional fish-in cycle thats 2 weeks in and have 9 different types of plants and all several conditioners like stresszyme and stability to help it get along.
I'm just curious if rummy nose tetras do this normally of if it was simply my setting on my Satellite LED PLUs making some seem less red nosed as the others.

Why are you letting water sit 3 hours ???
Prime works immediately.
Try to temp match the water.

Keep a close eye on your water tests.
Rummynose are Sensitive !!!

Live plants are good.
A dark background ?

What are your test results ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think you need a bunch of chemicals. I use Prime as my conditioner, which also makes any leftover Ammonia safer for 24 hours.

If you know someone with a completely cycled tank or if you have a local store you can ask for some used filter media such as filter floss. Keep the media wet in tank water until you can get it to your tank. If there's room just put it in your filter. If there's not room squeeze the used filter media over your filter it will add beneficial bacteria and boost your cycle.

The bacteria in a bottle products may or may not work. Most of them are not kept at proper temperatures and the bacteria dies off.

The more plants the better. That will help keep your tank more stable as well. Some of the floating plants are really good at absorbing things as well. I use Amazon Frogbit.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422778175.022103.jpg

I don't use chemicals just Prime, Stability Which is bacteria, and stress zyme which is also bacteria. I also use flourish, iron, and excel (which is the only thing thats really a chemical but it's just meant for plants and I used only 3 times so far in the beginning but held off for this week because I figured it slowed the cycle.) Also Seachems stability is just spores of the bacteria and they will cut down the ammonia to help beneficial bacteria which it did while I waited those three hours. I normally just add the primed tap water But I was just testing stability's effectiveness. it brought 0.25ppm to close to 0ppm in 3 hours in a dark room. Afterward i did the 50% water change and I added some more since you can't overdose on it and it's perfectly safe. According to seachem and Dr. Tim the bacteria they both use will survive 6 months on a shelf and 1 year in a fridge and the place I got it is very careful about shelf life on these types of things. I don't use iron often. I only use that after 2 or three water changes since my gravel is eco-complete and mixed quartz (which has Citrine quartz and rose quartz. and I have two full size quartz rocks all of which have various forms iron)
I always match the temps or come very close but for some reason it dropped a few degrees this time for about a half hour while it was equalizing. The fish are fine now and got active even while I was adding water till just for a few minutes after they swam low to the bottom while exploring the end I poured water. I figure they were just spooked and while the water was equalizing it changed their color briefly or at least in the light that I was watching them with. From what I've read Rummy nose are very hardy when it comes to adjusting to tank parameters they just project the water condition very quickly in their color. So far I have seen no signs of disease or overwhelming stress and I hope it stays that way but I'll keep monitoring it.

I don't use chemicals just Prime, Stability Which is bacteria, and stress zyme which is also bacteria. I also use flourish, iron, and excel (which is the only thing thats really a chemical but it's just meant for plants and I used only 3 times so far in the beginning but held off for this week because I figured it slowed the cycle.) Also Seachems stability is just spores of the bacteria and they will cut down the ammonia to help beneficial bacteria which it did while I waited those three hours. I normally just add the primed tap water But I was just testing stability's effectiveness. it brought 0.25ppm to close to 0ppm in 3 hours in a dark room. Afterward i did the 50% water change and I added some more since you can't overdose on it and it's perfectly safe. According to seachem and Dr. Tim the bacteria they both use will survive 6 months on a shelf and 1 year in a fridge and the place I got it is very careful about shelf life on these types of things. I don't use iron often. I only use that after 2 or three water changes since my gravel is eco-complete and mixed quartz (which has Citrine quartz and rose quartz. and I have two full size quartz rocks all of which have various forms iron)
I always match the temps or come very close but for some reason it dropped a few degrees this time for about a half hour while it was equalizing. The fish are fine now and got active even while I was adding water till just for a few minutes after they swam low to the bottom while exploring the end I poured water. I figure they were just spooked and while the water was equalizing it changed their color briefly or at least in the light that I was watching them with. From what I've read Rummy nose are very hardy when it comes to adjusting to tank parameters they just project the water condition very quickly in their color. So far I have seen no signs of disease or overwhelming stress and I hope it stays that way but I'll keep monitoring it.

Yes I know what Stability and Stress zyme are ... Chemicals was the wrong word. It just sounded like you were using too many products. But if they work for you, then that's good. If the place you're getting them from controls the temperature and watches the shelf life that's excellent ,most places don't.

I'm glad the fish are ok.

I've managed pet stores so I'm aware of the different products.

And yes I use Fertilizers as well.
You are using Flourish comprehensive ? , Flourish Iron , and Excel ?

Enjoy your tank. I love RNTs

the Seachem plant starter pack so yeah, comprehensive, iron (only added it once so far because It's too early to tell if the plants needed anymore), and Excel (but very sparingly right now but I'll use a little more probably later this week depending how the test go.
I also have Flourish Tabs on the sword hybrid I have (idk another lps said it was a hybrid but I forgot to ask the orignal lps i got it from what it's called but it's some kind of amazon sword just get huge and bushy in good lighting apparently). also tab on the Reinekii and another on the Hostifolia I just planted.
I only plan on using those nothing else. Later on I might try PPS pro? the dry fertilizer because it's cheaper (only 30 bucks for years and years worth of useable ferts) and more specific than flourish but for now that 100ml bottle will last awhile while I read up more and weigh the pros and cons. I'll have to stick with excel too unless I manage to figure out an affordable CO2 system. I've got two paintball tanks in my basement even but they're probably no good now and the other parts can be bit expensive mostly the Ph regulator. I can probably afford to do that in a couple of months but right now I just spent too much getting started on it. The tank and filter I had from the goldfish/koi setup but they just weren't taken care of right even though they were in good health I just traded them in to one of my Lfs's and started heavily researching the proper setup for tropical fish then got all the stuff that made sense to use without being over the top. I looked up aquascapes and read how-tos and all that. I'm still new so idk everything but I think I learned quite a bit with my research so far. There's a lot nonsense and contradiction that I had to sift through but I think I got the general idea so far.
I love the rnt aswell they have a ton of personality :)

Back
Top Bottom