Does anyone else name members of a school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first introduced my 7 glowlight tetras to the tank, I would look at them individually in a small betta-style cup. I thought I had little identifying markers, based on size, minor fin damage here or there. But now, they move so fast I can barely tell anything about them:huh:. Anyone else been successfully in naming or identifying all your members? :rolleyes:

Once you get into breeding, I know you should be able to sex them. But right now, I'm lost ^_^

The only member of a school I named was a neon tetra named Zits, and that was because she had a huge scar on her side.

I have like 25 neon tetras and as far as I can tell they are almost identical lol. I wish I could identify them.

May the force be with you.

Thanks!

@Delapool @nshepler Thanks for your input! I'm just curious ^.^ @Gibberwatt - If she was damaged, I'm glad you saved her! That's one lucky fish :D I have one that is much larger than the others, about 1.25" vs .75" the others. It seems, surprisingly, to get picked on, so I'm considering it may be an older female who just happened to not get sold from a few batches ago & ended up in my group :) There are maybe 2 or 3 I can identify, now that they're settling in and swimming a little slower. When I used to walk up, they would scatter too, now they are a little curious about me too ^_^

My daughter names all my fish. The last ones were Harry Potter names for a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnow... Harry, Hermionie, Ron, Malfoy, etc... If the fish are added in stages, say three or four at a time, I find you can get used to the slight variations in size and shape. I can't identify the by markings alone but as you watch them grow it's not too difficult to follow their progress. As for 25 Tetras, I doubt even my daughter could name all those! Harry's other friends are a common goldfish called Bubbles, a snail called Severus (another Harry Potter link), Danios called Lightning, Spot and Flash. Two new Hillstream Loaches and two new Spiral Horned Snails are yet to get names as my daughter's away with friends at the moment.

I can name one of my Tiger barbs from a lot of fin damage but the rest of my schools are like identical.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

@Pete_Banks how creative! Movies, tv shows, or story book names sounds like fun :D

@Mphish - Like banana, kiwi, cherry, strawberry, pear, mango? Adorable! Maybe throw in a couple exotics like coconut, longon, liechi, snake fruit, papaya, starfruit, ginnips, rombuton, guava? Certainly make for interesting disxussion ^.^ ha! Fun ideas, love it <3

As my 4 year old says, "there are forty twelve fish so the name will be fishes."

Sometimes I can pick out individuals but not every member of a school of more than 4.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom