Does it matter where you drop the food in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aphone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it better to have a designated place where I drop off the live blood worms?

Depends on the type of filter youre using. In one of my tanks my filter has 2 intakes, one in the bottom and one at the surface. In this tank i use a feeding ring which i float on the surface in the opposite corner of the tank to stop the surface intake sucking up the food. I have a picture and will upload it when i can, the phone app is playing up at the moment.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130314_040740.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130314_040740.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20130314_040804.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130314_040804.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20130314_040856.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130314_040856.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 72
Dry foods would work for that, but live blood worms sink to the bottom. Do fish remember where food was last place, and look to that area for more?

Wow that's a really good idea lol ... I need to get one of those my food ends up floating on the top then pushed down by the filter and gets stuck in the plants :/

Dry foods would work for that, but live blood worms sink to the bottom. Do fish remember where food was last place, and look to that area for more?

Whenever i approach the tank and lift the lid, my fish swim straight over to the ring. Didnt take them long at all for them to work it out.

I like to try to have as much of it eaten before it touches the bottom. I feed smaller portions twice a day rather than one big feed once, this way theres less waste thats going to sink and sit on the bottom of the tank.

As long as it is in a place where they can eat it before it hits the bottom, then it is fine. For flake food, you want it to be in a place with little current. In my tank the filter has a waterfall sort of thing on it, so I put the food as far away from the waterfall as possible.

I always wondered what a feeding ring was for. I've seen them in the pet store, but never looked at them all that closely.

When I feed bloodworms (or anything else frozen), I leave them frozen and it sort of bobs around from top to bottom with worms/algae/shrimp flying off. The fish seem to love it. The gouramis and shark mostly hang back and catch the stuff floating around but the bars, pigs that they are, go and attack it, knock it around, drag it back and forth. The seem to be enjoying themselves.

As for where in the tank I put the food. I never really gave it much thought. It all moves around and floating or sinking, they find it within a few minutes anyways.

I always think it's funny when I try to give the pleco algae. I have sinking algae wafers. I'll drop one in, as close to his hiding spot as I can, late at night, hours after the lights have been turned off and then watch as the barbs sneak over, very slowly.

Back
Top Bottom