Does this sound like a good setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquareBubble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I've been reading up on stuff and planning to start up an aquarium for about a year now (I know, I'm so slow D; ) and I finally have a tank and a plan for what's going in it c:

It's still probably gonna be about a month before I start cycling, as I still need to get a stand, so I thought I'd get the opinion of you lovely people before I start c:

My tank is a superfish aqua 65 (which, from it's measurements seems to only hold about 50 litres, although I'm not accounting for the bowed front) with a Elite Stingray 15 filter with what I think are two water pumps? (aquarium came from a friend who was getting rid of it & all her accessories ) One of them I'm certain s (as it actually says water pump on the label xP ) but the other one looks quite different & has no label so I'm not sure? ( long, cylindrical thing with connecting hard plastic tubes, battery operated).
And I'm going to be getting a heater when I get the stand P:

Anyways - I'm planning to have 4 male platys (variety of types), 1 pearl gourami and 1 shrimp of some kind (thinking bee shrimp at the moment)
I would really love to have a hillstream loach instead of the shrimp, but the fish stocking calculator I'm using is saying that it would be too big...
Oh, and I also have a malaysian trumpet snail that I found in the tank as I was cleaning it out, I've put in in the temporary housing of a glass with my marimo moss ball until I've got the tank set up - but I'm still not sure if I should have it anyway? It's only one, but I don't know if it's pregnant and I don't want a tank overrun by snails xP

Also, speaking of cleaning, the tank had been outside with dirty gravel & water for some time, and where I have taken all of the gravel out, rinsed it & scrubbed it with a filter sponge, I still don't know if I should also scrub it with some white vinegar solution? it looks clean, but I don't want there to be any harmful bacteria in there when I do put the fish in.

Finally, I'll be putting the platys in first, then the gourami, then the shrimp ( allowing time for things to settle down between each addition).

Thankyou ever so much for reading, and I would really appreciate any advice c:

I would skip the pearl gourami and go with a dwarf gourami. The pearls need a 120l aquarium to really be happy while the dwarf versions are happy in a smaller tank. I would also skip the hillstream loach because they need highly oxygenated water to be happy and really do best in a species only tank.

Also, have you thought about getting a bunch of Red Cherry Shrimp as opposed to a single shrimp of a different breed?

If you're worried about the snail spawning then the best option is to just not put it in the aquarium in the first place. I don't personally mind them but it's all personal preference.

As for the harmful bacteria that might be left over in the tank, I wouldn't worry about it much. Let the tank sit outside empty for an hour or two and it'll kill any bacteria that might be on it.

Thanks for the advice c:

Ahwell, suppose I'll just have to give up on the loach then, it's a shame 'cause I really love watching them eat (same with plecos, but found out long ago that they would grow waaay too big xP ), I'm guessing there's no other suitable species for me that have the same way of nomming along the glass?

As for shrimp, I was considering red cherry shrimp aswell, are they better than other shrimp for any particular reason? Also, how many would you suggest would be ok without it affecting to bioload too much? the reason I was only thinking of getting one is because I didn't want to overstock my tank >.<;;;
Same with the snail really, I quite like it, and wouldn't even mind a few more, but I don't want end up with a tank so infested with them that it makes th e water unlivable for the fish xP

Thanks again, and sorry if my questions are stupid xP

An Otocinclus is an algae eater that can live in a small tank but they are fairly difficult to keep alive and need an established tank to survive.

RCS are very hardy shrimp that breed fairly rapidly in aquariums. Also, the bio load of RCS and snails is soo miniscule that you can basically ignore it so stock them to your hearts content :)

Finally. don't worry they definitely aren't stupid questions :D

Back
Top Bottom