Does this stocking plan sound about right for a 29g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firteen888

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I'm still in the cycling process but have been reading alot of threads here about what I can stock in a 29 gallon tank. I'm just trying to get a clear idea of what would be good. After doing some research, here is what I've come up with for my tank (29g tank, 30g aqueion filter, heater, fake plants, a few places for fish to hide)

- 2 schools (mabe 6 each) of any of the following: tetras, Danios, rasboras, Guppies

- 1 Gourami

- 1 Pleco

Is there anything else additional that I can put in this tank? (maybe 1 Bolivian Ram Chiclid as well?)

some questions about the schooling fish:

1 - Are there any types of schooling fish that shouldn't be put together? (like putting tetras together with danios for instance)

2 - lets say I get 6 danios, can I get 6 DIFFERENT type of danios (2 zebras, 2 leopards, 2 pearl for instance) or do I have to get 6 of the same type of danio?

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Looks good to me. Different species of fish will typically not school together so you would have to go for all one type of danio. I personally think this creates a better visual impact anyway. When getting a pleco, wait until there is some algae in your tank or it may just wait for wafers instead of cleaning. Of course, once it has cleaned up all of the algae you will need the wafers. And make sure you get a small species of pleco.

I believe that zebra danios, longfin zebras, leopards and hifin blue danios all school. But that is only in what I've seen.

When getting a pleco, wait until there is some algae in your tank or it may just wait for wafers instead of cleaning. Of course, once it has cleaned up all of the algae you will need the wafers. And make sure you get a small species of pleco.

Sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. What do you mean by wafers? I'd really prefer to stick with just feeding my fish fish food. Should I stay away from the pleco's?

Thanks,

I looked up wafers and they just appear to be some sort of fish food that falls to the bottom of the tank? Is that right? if so, that would be fine. Can plecos not eat regular fish food bc. they're always at the bottom of the tank? Sorry for my ignorance :)

That's right. A pleco will eat some regular flake food that falls to the bottom of the tank but they really need algae so it's best to drop in an algae wafer once or twice a week if there is none in your tank. They also really like veggies such as zucchini or cucumber if you are so inclined.

I've got a mixture of Glofish (they're technically just colorful zebra danios) and Leopard Danios. They all get along just fine and school together. I don't think the Leopards even realize they're not colorful like the Glofish. The Danios aren't as tight of a schooling fish as my tetras, but I think that's just their nature since they're so active and fearless.

I've got a really peaceful community tank, so none of my schools are super tight because there's nothing in the tank to frighten them, since schooling is a defense mechanism. During pwc's they huddle together. It's hilarious because during pwc's my red eye tetras line up in a perfect row in my driftwood just shaking, lol.

Any danio will school together but mix them with tetras and rasboras is a mistake. I don't say they won't work but they want so different type of water and aquarium. Danios want to swim a lot mostly on the top of the water and like to be fast and active while tetras and rasboras are calm and like peaceful places. The water conditions are different too but they will survive in almost any water conditions. However the danios are so beautiful I would live them out from this tank or if you wat them so desperate find some other fish then tetras. My advice is have look into biotope aquariums before you stock your fish.

Attiland said:
Any danio will school together but mix them with tetras and rasboras is a mistake. I don't say they won't work but they want so different type of water and aquarium. Danios want to swim a lot mostly on the top of the water and like to be fast and active while tetras and rasboras are calm and like peaceful places. The water conditions are different too but they will survive in almost any water conditions. However the danios are so beautiful I would live them out from this tank or if you wat them so desperate find some other fish then tetras. My advice is have look into biotope aquariums before you stock your fish.

My neons and red eyes are as happy as can be with my danios, but I've got a larger tank. But I can see how their hyperactivity might stress out other fish in a smaller aquarium.

Well, my tank is to have a similar stocking to yours, but I'm going to have a 70 gallon HOB filter:

6 black skirt tetras
6 rummy nose tetras
6 orange laser cories
2 Bolivian rams
1 keyhole cichlid
1 starlight bristlenose pleco

Just to give you an idea.

So if I buy a more powerful filter, I'd be able to put more fish in the tank?

In theory... But That doesn't mean you can buy a common pleco for a ten gallon just because it has a 70 gallon filter. Adult Size and compatibility matter too.

So if I buy a more powerful filter, I'd be able to put more fish in the tank?

The test is, 1) do the fish have enough swimming room? and 2) are you able to keep your nitrates down without doing several weekly PWC's? and 3) is the adult size and schooling number proper for your tank?

If all three is YES, then you can "overstock" some, in my opinion.

I heard that the Pleco's need driftwood in the tank to survive. is this true? If so, I won't get one. Is there anything comparable to a pleco that doesn't need driftwood?

I heard that the Pleco's need driftwood in the tank to survive. is this true? If so, I won't get one. Is there anything comparable to a pleco that doesn't need driftwood?

IMO, no because some of my friends have pleco's with no wood at all.

:fish1::fish2::fish1:
......:deadhorse:
:fish2::fish1::fish2:

firteen888 said:

I've had a pleco for months in my ten. I'm trying to find him a new home. They get really really big :( I wish I hadn't got him

I've had a pleco for months in my ten. I'm trying to find him a new home. They get really really big :( I wish I hadn't got him

Yea? How big is really really big? Anything similar that you would want instead?

Back
Top Bottom