Does up grading your filter cause your tank to cycle again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If I choose to up grade my filter in the future is it going to cause my tank to cycle again. I have a Top Fine 20 right now in my 20 gal and I'm thinking about going to an Aqua Clear 30 at some point. How do I go about changing the filter system?

Run both filters at the same time to allow for BB to grow on the new filter media which I think would be great, or use the old pad to start the new one, just put the new filter then the old one back to back and run!

Don't use tap water to clean your filter pads too btw, use tank water to rinse well, the some conditioned clean water you would be using to refill the tank, a couple of cups or so to rinse the pad cleaner! Don't change the pads almost ever/till they are falling apart!

Ever since I started that my tanks have been much more peaceful, water params stay good and fish stay happy, no more bacterial blooms and many less fish deaths! Happy fish, happy life! lol ;)

Would running the filters back to back work just as well? I really don't want to run them both at the same time and ruin my tank lid.

not quite as well imo but well enough! I would make sure not to over feed and keep up on pwc and not stock any additional fish for a month and keep up with testing to make sure everything stays good.

Also would do a very thorough substrate vacuum cleaning about a week or so before setting up the new filter. To be sure to have a good clean tank. Also it is preferable to not clean filter pads and substrate/rest of the tank in the same cleaning as to not upset the BB apple cart lol.

When my filter does fall apart then my tank will cycle again when I put a new one in?

I always piggy back two in there anyway!

So after the month with the old pad, you can maybe sell the old filter with the seeded pad??? or keep for a back up. Then add a new properly sized one, I put the new one so the water coming in meets it first (or in the back -cleaner and less clogging due to debris and age) Old one at the front.

Also useful for if you get a new tank, you pretty much have an instant cycle, lol!

With two you get double the tank taming BB!! Also Unless flow is an issue, I would consider at least double the recommended size filter, you almost can't have too much filtering!

If you only want to keep one in there, just pay attention to how the pad is and if it starts looking too krunky add another with it and try to let it grow BB for a month. Do the same thing if you fear it will fall apart if you remove it. Clean substrate/vac really well and then change it. They last a very long time usually.

The trick is to not clean the biofilm and bb out of you tank at the same time, to keep a balance. If you scrubbed the glass and the filter pads and vac/clean substrate and the decorations all at the same time, you would destroy a significant amount of the good guys too. Rotate cleaning things and filter pads!

Speaking of cleaning the glass. My tank is just cycling right now(fish in). It's almost three weeks old and I've only had ammonia readings. No NO2 or NO3 yet. There's a white film on the glass and the heater. Is that the BB or something else?

It is probably fungus, it goes away over time you can rub it off, but it likely will come back.

Happens alot with driftwood too, a little different but basically the same.

Are you using ammonia for your cycle, or fish? Sorry I have been bouncing around here alot and can't remember, don't want to leave the page and am about to run off to work!

What temp are you running the tank at? What is the substrate too?

Fish
temp is 78-80
Substrate? If that's the ammonia levels it's .50

No need to run both filters. Just move the media from the current filter into the new one, then if there's room add some new media that the filter comes with (an extra sponge or whatever). That isn't much of a filter upgrade for a 20 gal though; if you're going to upgrade anyway I'd go larger, maybe to an Aquaclear 50 or even 70. Or you could just run the current filter with the new one for added filtration.

Wouldn't a 50 be too big?

For a 20 gal? No. Generally you want at least double-the filtration for the size tank, so an AC 50 would do nicely. On my 40 gal I have enough total filtration for about 145 gals lol The more filtration the better.

I've read on this site about people getting angelsplus filters to help their tank cycle faster. I visited the site and really don't understand how there filters setup works. Could I buy one and cut it up to put in my power filter box? FYI - My AquaClear 50 is on the way! Thanks for the advice.

I've read on this site about people getting angelsplus filters to help their tank cycle faster. I visited the site and really don't understand how there filters setup works. Could I buy one and cut it up to put in my power filter box? FYI - My AquaClear 50 is on the way! Thanks for the advice.

If your tank is already established and cycled I would just put the filter media from the one your using now into the new filter, with the new proper sized filter pads, I dunno if anyone would agree with me or not but you could also use the new pads to sort of wipe down the inside of your old filter to collect any extra bacteria hanging out in the filter chamber(assuming there isn't lots of old pooey gunk in it ;) )

If I'm not mistaken the angelplus active filters are sponge filters so an air pump would be attached and suck the water through the sponge so that would be your good bacteria. I would assume as long as you kept the sponge wet you could cut it and put it in your hob if you didn't want to run it as a sponge filter. Or you could run both until your hob is ready to run on its own.

If your tank is already established and cycled I would just put the filter media from the one your using now into the new filter, with the new proper sized filter pads, I dunno if anyone would agree with me or not but you could also use the new pads to sort of wipe down the inside of your old filter to collect any extra bacteria hanging out in the filter chamber(assuming there isn't lots of old pooey gunk in it ;) )

My tank isn't cycled yet. It's about three weeks old and I still don't have any signs of nitrate or nitrite. I was thinking about the angels filter because I would like the cycling to speed up a little.

Back
Top Bottom