Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Driftwood Safe?

How can I be sure some DW I've found is safe. It was in my dads garden. I found some at the lake and I'm not so worried bout those pieces but the piece in my dads garden is amazing and I'm dying to use it but don't want it to rot or anything. How can I be sure it's ok ,??

Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it hardwood or softwood? Softwood will rot quicker, so id recommend hardwoods. Dont just plunk it in the tank, you should boil it.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.waffles1842
Is it hardwood or softwood? Softwood will rot quicker, so id recommend hardwoods. Dont just plunk it in the tank, you should boil it.
I've been soaking the DW from the lake and I'm washing it in the dishwasher right now. Just dunno bout the big piece. It was in his garden for years but idk it kinds chips off easy so it is probably to soft... I want to use it so bad!!! Lol lol
Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Post some pics, i luv looking at old wood.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keep going with this thread, it's something I'd like to learn more about. When I told my dad I wanted to buy some wood for my tank he gave me the funniest look
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #6
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

I wouldn't chance wood from the garden. Pesticides, fertilizers, anything used to keep the garden in good shape could have soaked into that wood and it may not be "cleanable".

AA ToS
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I think I've decided against it but I'll post pics of the awesome piece
Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Old 07-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's like the perfect fish cave
Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
I wouldn't chance wood from the garden. Pesticides, fertilizers, anything used to keep the garden in good shape could have soaked into that wood and it may not be "cleanable".

This was my thought to the T. However I do have an idea......Many out there may not like this, however it is an option...If you want the dw bad enough, I'd boil it and setup a trial tank. test your water drop in a 10cent feeder fish or 2 and see what happens. Its possible IMO if your pops hasnt used any chemicals for the garden, spray or otherwise, in a long time maybe it will work. idk just a thought.
Any plant suggestions???
Rush81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossie View Post
It's like the perfect fish cave
lol Now I jealous of your wood That is a freaki awesome fish cave. What came from the garden and what came from the lake or are these diff. Awesome none the less!
Any plant suggestions???
Rush81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush81

This was my thought to the T. However I do have an idea......Many out there may not like this, however it is an option...If you want the dw bad enough, I'd boil it and setup a trial tank. test your water drop in a 10cent feeder fish or 2 and see what happens. Its possible IMO if your pops hasnt used any chemicals for the garden, spray or otherwise, in a long time maybe it will work. idk just a thought.
I actually put it in a tank before but I did an almost complete pwc b4 adding fish. I did think of those things ( poisons and such ) but my dad said it would be ok. I believe he told me there wasn't any pesticides or anything on it... Besides it's Rained on it and been in the sun and I have already soaked and rinsed a few times ( I got it for my cichlids tanks months ago ) I probably won't use it bc it seems pretty soft... It is just such an amazing piece.... Lol
Old 07-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush81

lol Now I jealous of your wood That is a freaki awesome fish cave. What came from the garden and what came from the lake or are these diff. Awesome none the less!
That one was in my dads garden

Tags
drift, driftwood, safe

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com