Dumb glass top question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you have a glass top, where do you put the lights? How is it all set up. I can't find anything on it, probably due to the way I'm searching (keeps bringing up products not info!). Pictures are welcome!

We have a tank without a lid, I am trying to figure out if its cheaper to buy a glass and own lights than a hood and light combo. The only LED combo I find is the marineland one that Emanuel people say the clasps break!

what type of light? my light as its own legs that sit on the rim of the tank

Sorry! I should have been more clear, I'm asking what type of lights do you use with glass top and where do you put them.

I've seen the ones with legs, would you just put those on top? And won't affect the glass at all? Sorry such dumb questioNs!

What type of light do you have? Most all lights just set on top of the glass. If they are the correct size for the tank, the edges of the light will set on the rim of the tank.

What type of light do you have? Most all lights just set on top of the glass. If they are the correct size for the tank, the edges of the light will set on the rim of the tank.

I don't have any yet. Just looking at pros and cons between the hood & light comb lid and just getting a glass top and own light. So I was wondering where do light even go with a glass lid and do they have to be any special type.

Most glass tops are pretty basic. Just get one that fits your tank. The light will set on top of the glasstop, and probably also extend to the rim of the tank. Some lights have legs that set on the tank rim, and some have wire extensions that slide out from the ends of the light to rest on the rim of the tank.

Pics please? The light will probably be a strip light that goes on top of the tank, on the lid. There should be a designated spot for it in the manual that came with the light.

Pics please? The light will probably be a strip light that goes on top of the tank, on the lid. There should be a designated spot for it in the manual that came with the light.

I don't have a light or lid! I just have a fish tank that I plan to upgrade to and am trying to figure if I should just get a glass lid and light, or a hood and light combo. And was trying to figure how the glass lid and light thing worked! As glass lids are super cheap at my LFS and I could get a better light than the hood combos, but wasn't sure if I needed any special kind of lights or anything.

Sorry this post was so confusing! I think it's the way I asked, English is my second language sorry!!!

I don't have a light or lid! I just have a fish tank that I plan to upgrade to and am trying to figure if I should just get a glass lid and light, or a hood and light combo. And was trying to figure how the glass lid and light thing worked! As glass lids are super cheap at my LFS and I could get a better light than the hood combos, but wasn't sure if I needed any special kind of lights or anything.

Sorry this post was so confusing! I think it's the way I asked, English is my second language sorry!!!

Lights really depend on if you're going to add plants or not..otherwise a standard light is fine.

Or say you'd like a "moonlight" setting.

I had a problem with one of my tanks fluctuating in temp because of the heat my light cause. I ended up with a glass top and my light had legs that sat on the rim of the tank. It stopped the fluctuation until I could suspend my light from the ceiling. Glass tops won't change the light demand of the tank at all. I now prefer open top to good for that reason. Glass also stops fish from being able to jump out of the tank. RIP phantom pleco :-(.

Ok, now I get it. Its not your english, I just didn't read the whole post. I recommend getting the light and hood combo, because it looks a lot better and is only about maybe 5$ more total.

I have a glass top with a canopy light ( the kind with legs), and the problem I ran into is that there is not enough clearance between the top of the tank and bottom of the light to open and close the glass lid. My lid just stays open now until I can figure out a solution.

They sell half tops that only fit under your light. That way you have openings on either side that aren't to big. You still will have to move the light for pwc but feeding and daily functions will be easier

I had glass lids I got from Pet Smart that hinged in the middle. I have an LED light bar on the top. I recently replaced the glass lids with a wire mess lid because the glass was always getting algae on it due to the lights.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 26, 5 43 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26, 5 43 49 PM.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Photo Apr 26, 5 44 08 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26, 5 44 08 PM.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Photo Apr 26, 5 53 48 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 26, 5 53 48 PM.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 46
Lights really depend on if you're going to add plants or not..otherwise a standard light is fine.

Or say you'd like a "moonlight" setting.

I have low-med light plants, nothing too fussy! And I would like a moonlighting (why I was mostly looking into LEDs).

I was originally looking at the marineland LED light and hood combo (on amazon), but many reviews explained that the hood comes with clips, that clip onto you tank and they break easily (making the whole hood useless). Which makes me really nervous. I don't want to buy a lid for it to break. That's when I began looking into other LED options but only found the lights themselves and no hood, and that is where the glass idea came Into mind. Plus when I was young I had an old screw in bulb light and I remember how noisy it was!

Does anyone have any experience with the marineland LED hood?

I had glass lids I got from Pet Smart that hinged in the middle. I have an LED light bar on the top. I recently replaced the glass lids with a wire mess lid because the glass was always getting algae on it due to the lights.

I love your wall background! Did you make it or buy it? Such a pretty tank. Also do you lose a lot of water with mesh lid? I worry how my cats would take to it... I catch one sitting ON TOP of my 20g hood trying to drink the filter water, every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom