Dumb question about water changers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

my_little_tetra

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I am currently using a siphon and bucket to do water changes on my tank. When I was a kid, my dad had a water changing hose thingy that hooked up to the faucet in the bathroom and you could suck out the old water and then fill the tank with new water with the thing. No bucket lugging required.

My question is, wouldn't it be harmful to fill with new water directly from the tap? Even if you immediately toss some water conditioner into the tank, isn't there a risk the nitrogen cycle will be wiped out by chlorine from the water?

What is the trick to these things?

Thanks!! :D

I've been using a water changer for years. No issues. I just dose the tank for the amount of water being added and flip the valve and let it fill. Cuts the time in half and doesn't make it so much like a chore...

One of the best investments I've made in the hobby.

I dose Prime for the full tank volume before refilling with new water & I keep my filter unplugged for 5-10 minutes after the tank is refilled. I've never had a cycle issue & if I didn't have the water changer for my 46g I'd probably not enjoy my 46g so much. :)

Nope, you're perfectly fine to do that. Just add the right amount of Prime or whatever for the water put in. :)

Ahh! I get it! I wondered how that worked. I only have a 29 gallon, but it's still a pain in the butt and I'm considering upsizing, since I'm pretty sure I'm overstocked. (If I can figure out where to put a bigger tank, that is...)

Thank you all!

Ahh! I get it! I wondered how that worked. I only have a 29 gallon, but it's still a pain in the butt and I'm considering upsizing, since I'm pretty sure I'm overstocked. (If I can figure out where to put a bigger tank, that is...)

Thank you all!

Input could take another way. You could get a water pump from the sporting goods section that you can sit in your bucket, and pump the water Ito the tank. You still have to carry the bucket, but you won't have to puck it up nor use so much water treatment. Just a thought. I plan to do that when I have some extra money.

Input could take another way. You could get a water pump from the sporting goods section that you can sit in your bucket, and pump the water Ito the tank. You still have to carry the bucket, but you won't have to puck it up nor use so much water treatment. Just a thought. I plan to do that when I have some extra money.

Good idea, i might try that too!
Thanks.

So just gotta say thank you again to everyone! I got an Aqueon brand water changer and it is super awesome. I'm usually tired and soaking wet after doing a PWC, but I just did a 50% water change and I'm dry, the floor is dry, and the whole thing took less than half the time it normally does! Woot!

So just gotta say thank you again to everyone! I got an Aqueon brand water changer and it is super awesome. I'm usually tired and soaking wet after doing a PWC, but I just did a 50% water change and I'm dry, the floor is dry, and the whole thing took less than half the time it normally does! Woot!

Haha told ya!! I love mine!

the amount of chlorine in most peoples taps is not enough to kill all of your BB instantly. so dosing the tank before putting water in is safe :)

Back
Top Bottom