Dwarf Cichlid Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you feed your dwarf cichlids? (rams, appistos, kribs, etc.)
I have a bolivian ram in my 20H, with 7 bloodfin tetras and 6 rummynose tetras. I have had problems feeding my ram, which I got on Saturday (the 18th). I got aqueon cichlid pellets (size mini), but when I put them in they don't sink fast enough to get to my ram, and my other fish eat them and they get stuck in the other fish's jaw because the other fish are too small and the other fish freak out and you can see the pellets in the other fish's jaw and it is really scary for me! :eek: So how do you feed them? What do you feed them so the other fish don't eat the pellets before it gets to the cichlid, which, for me, stays only on the bottom. I tried giving them bloodworms today (the 22nd), and some got to the ram, and he/she ate some of them, but the other fish ate so many of them that they all look seriously pregnant, and it is scary. I don't think I will feed them for a day or two. So what should I do? I need help now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would suggest feeding a nice Cichlid flake to your fish. It will be fine for everything to eat. It is what I had to feed my cichlids because they were too small to eat the pellet food. Just try to feed enough for everything to eat, the other fish should be fine even if they gorge themselves.

Well, the gorging isn't what I am worried about, but it is kinda scary when you can see some food stuck in the fish's jaw. So what do you use (any specific product names please?) that sinks really well and fast? Help please! I am going to buy food tonight, so I need help!

I haven't found a sinking pellet that I liked. I usually just drop my flakes right into my powerheads path which will spray the food all over the tank giving ample time for fish to get it wherever they are. I have noticed that cichlids enjoy pecking at the bottom feeder pellets so you might go that route.

I have 3 Blue Rams and feeding is not a problem to them because they go get the food. I would suggest taking a turkey baster and sucking up some food and squirting some down at the bottom layer for them,

Guys, I just want to know a specific product name. @notanewbie1997, what product do you use?

I use tetracichlid flake for all of my cichlid feeding needs. As for sinking pellets I've used a few different sinking foods and aside from my algae wafers they sit unused in my fish box because I don't like them.

When I was keeping my colony of Apisto borelli I fed them NLS (new life spectrum pellets), Cobalt pro breeder flakes, and a variety of frozen and live food (bloodworms, blackworms, brine, etc)
They had great colors and were very lively!

Wow. I feel stupid. So I bought Omega One cichlid pellets, the small sinking kind. They sink well, and I got about five around the ram. He got one in his/her mouth, and then spit it out. He/she repeated this until it couldn't find the pellets, or the other fish got them. So what should I do? What is the problem? Is it being picky, or can it not eat the pellets? The pellets are of the correct size, they aren't too big.

That's actually fairly common behavior for dwarf cichlids. They're grinding the pellet in the throat to break it into smaller pieces. If you soak the pellets in some tank water beforehand they'll have an easier time eating them.

Back
Top Bottom