Dwarf Gourami needs Buddy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone!

I got my Dwarf Gourami yesterday and it looks great! Now I was wondering though I would like to get a friend for it... Now I could get another dwarf but I would like something diffrent, maybe another type of Gourami? If anyone has any suggestions thats what im looking for! :D

Right now I have some Pristella Tetras, three Juili Cory Catfish and the Dwarf Gourami looking for that one more fish to complete the tank. :fish2:

Thanks for the help!:thanks:

Well from what I have researched, they can be kept in pairs and groups of 3...
Could be wrong but what I have read. :)

This is a 20gal, with a 55 gallon canister filter + 20 gallon HoT filter.

Thanks.

My understanding is that the other gourami species can be kept in small groups, but not the dwarf. Let's see what others have to say. :)

Yes I have read this too but most included the DG :) Now this is information I am getting from the Web so theres alot of crazy stuff out there and understand that lol. Why I like this website very much with people that have tried these things. :D

I'm not sure about the small school of neons that you mentioned in the PM.

I'm thinking of my 16 gallon and how many fish I'd put in there. At one point, I had small killifish, a DG and corys. I can't imagine that I would've put one more school of fish.

If it were my tank, I'd probably just beef up the pristella school.

IMO/E dwarf gouramis don't belong in the same tank. They can bully each other to death. Sometimes the less dominant one will allow itself to die before fighting back. I had 2 in a 70g well planted tank and one still killed the other. From what I've experienced, I wouldn't recommend it.

The trouble with dwarf gouramis is that the ones predominantly in the hobby are all male. You could do a pair or trio of them (if you could find confirmed females- don't believe the shop), but not in a 20G. Nor would any other gourami work in there IMO. I would also advise slowing down. Adding fish is rapid succession usually ends badly.

So far seems like it will be a lone wolf in the pack. But are there any suggestions on any another fish? If not Ill just add a few more pristella tetras as suggested.

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom