Dwarf Gourami tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstsouthofsanity

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have one red flame dwarf gourami in a 5 gal hex tank. If the one inch per gal rule is true then I should have 2.5 in of fish left, correct? Right now I'm thinking barb (black ruby or tiger) or another small gourami (dwarf or honey). I've also heard they do well with loaches and mollies. I know gourami are carnivores so I'm also wondering how they handle snails. If anyone has experience with this species or advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

img_855125_0_4f95bbd231c08d85cbabedd5b5bb669f.jpg

I'd probably grab another gourami to give yours a buddy. I'd probably stay away from the smaller fish that prefer to school since you probably shouldn't get 6 or 8 of them. Not sure about the snails :eek:

Edit: that's a lot of probablies.

The problem as I see it with another dwarf gourami is they can be territorial to each other and would not work well in that tank together. Tiger barbs are nippy and like to school. If it were me, I'd leave it be with perhaps an oto or two for bottom feeders.

I'd probably go with 3 dwarf cories instead of the otos, just because you would need to do a lot of supplementation of the oto's diet in such a small aquarium.

Good point Joy, I have so many fish foods on the go it never occurs to me that others may not want to supplement all their fish's food requirements.

I would be very carefull with a pleco they can get to bigg for a tank that size. I would suggest something like amono shirmp or red cherry shrimp, or maybe a couple of apple snails.

Pleco's would not be a good choice. There isn't a pleco I would recommend to go into a 5 gal. Dwarf cories would be the easiest as they have the same food requirements as the gourami like Purrbox suggested. If you don't mind feeding two different diets, then otos are cute and good cleaners as well.

Back
Top Bottom