dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gourami

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had 2 dwarf gouramis for 2 weeks the smaller one is quite agressive to the larger one. it chases it around the tank but atm doesnt seem to hurt it. is there anyway of improving matters.
I have only had the rank for about a month it is cycled and fairly heavily planted.
The tank is a 90l aqua one 620

welcome to aa

i take it 90L is rabout 30 gallons? dwarf gouramis are kinda jerks sometimes, might need a bigger tank

Unfortunetly, male dwarf gouramis can be very aggresive with each other. They establish territories and will defend them from other males. It sounds like your larger one has claimed the whole tank. You could try providing cover and breaking up the line of sight. It would probably be best, if you returned the smaller one to the store, it is only a matter of time before the smaller one will be harresed to death.

When I got my gouramis I probably spent $100 on fake plants so that they could hide from eachother when they fought, for about a week though they charged at each other constantly. Neither got hurt and they act all buddy-buddy now so I dont know why they fought. I would suggest making sure you have allot of plants for them to hide in and some tall ones too, but dwarfs do tend to be more aggressive than other gouramis so it might be better to return one.

hc8719 said:
welcome to aa

i take it 90L is rabout 30 gallons? dwarf gouramis are kinda jerks sometimes, might need a bigger tank

I think 90l is about 22 gallons, how big is your tank bigougit

55g but I have pearl gouramis and they can get up to 5in. I plan on getting 1 dwarf for a 10g though with a few small fish. Gouramis are huge fans of thick foliage, but unless you do a planted tank and buy the expensive lighting then you should buy ALLOT of fake plants. And gouramis also like floating plants, but I dont have any (might help if you wanted to breed though). Anyways, unless you REALLY want to keep both of these fish and are willing to spend the money on it I would suggest taking one back.

I've got three male in my 42 gallon tank. Two hang together while one stays to himself. The loner of the group will chase the other two, but not as often as he had, seems like they are getting along better for some reason.

Bigougit said:
55g but I have pearl gouramis and they can get up to 5in.

thats the reason they get along, i have 3 male moonlights, who all get along, and at least 2 of 4 male kissers who "kiss" every so often, but thats all the aggression i get. i dont know why dwarfs dont get along, must be the napolean complex

Back
Top Bottom