Dwarf Gouramis in a 10g Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, trying to figure out what else I should put in my 10g planted.

Was thinking maybe 1 or 2 dwarf gourami. I've read they do ok in small community tanks but wanted some input. Right now my tank houses 6 glowlights. Can I have a pair of these guys or just one? If a pair, one male one female? Two female? What will work best?

You can do 1 dwarf gourami in a 10, IMO. Definitely not 2, they are too territorial. If you do a dwarf with the 6 glowlights I would consider that stocked for a 10g.

Laser said:
You can do 1 dwarf gourami in a 10, IMO. Definitely not 2, they are too territorial. If you do a dwarf with the 6 glowlights I would consider that stocked for a 10g.

Thanks, someone also suggested maybe a few Pygmy Cory on a diff thread, but I think they should be in groups 3 or more? Might be overstocked then. I'm debating it I guess.

Depends on how willing you are to keep up with water quality and changes. As far as keeping two dwarfs together, I concur with the others that it's not a good idea for a 10g, maybe a 30 long with plenty of plants for the other to hide.

You could also stock some livebearers with them--I have four guppy's and three Molly's with my DG in a 10g, and I've never seen a fish as happy as that dwarf acts. I've heard that flowing fins aren't good for gourami because it can be seen as a potential threat for mate, but I've never experienced any problems.
GL!

derail said:
Depends on how willing you are to keep up with water quality and changes. As far as keeping two dwarfs together, I concur with the others that it's not a good idea for a 10g, maybe a 30 long with plenty of plants for the other to hide.

You could also stock some livebearers with them--I have four guppy's and three Molly's with my DG in a 10g, and I've never seen a fish as happy as that dwarf acts. I've heard that flowing fins aren't good for gourami because it can be seen as a potential threat for mate, but I've never experienced any problems.
GL!

I'm not really into guppies, I had two males and they both died, and from what I've researched they don't have that long of a lifespan regardless. My only concern about the DG is that I also have a female betta in quarantine right now (one of the glowlights is a bit of a bully and likes to nip fins, I think they were just stressed because I recently re did the whole tank and never had problems before) Would the betta and DG fight over territory in such a small tank? I really like they way the DG looks so it would be nice, however, it would also be cool to have some fish occupying the bottom... Decisions, decisions...

Corys are great bottom fish, and should with great with dg. I don't think the female betta would quarrel with it much, as I have seen them kept in community aquaria before, though I never have personally kept them. As the general rule goes, plenty of plants should help if there is aggression. Keep us updated!

Response

I would go with a few tiger barbs, I just set up a friends tank for him and we put about 5 of them in the tank. They are territorial but not neccesarily towards each other, they seem to school together and as long as you keep the tank clean you shouldnt have any problems. Not to mention their verry pretty fish :fish2:

imtotallytanked92 said:
I would go with a few tiger barbs, I just set up a friends tank for him and we put about 5 of them in the tank. They are territorial but not neccesarily towards each other, they seem to school together and as long as you keep the tank clean you shouldnt have any problems. Not to mention their verry pretty fish :fish2:

I really wanted tiger barbs! I was told on a different thread that a 10g is too small for them, and they do best in groups. I'm pretty sure when I researched I found the same... I already have 7 small fish so I'm looking for something that does well on its own or in pairs. If only I knew a 10g would be so limited I would have got a 20 or 30 or 55 for our first tank! Haha Oh well, in due time...

Yea the barbs are some of my favorite fish, i am hoping to maybe get an 80 gallon bow front tank one of these days ... only time will tell

I'm thinking maybe I could get rid of one glowlight and have

5 glowlights
1 female betta
1 dwarf gourami
2 or 3 Pygmy cory

Does this sound good for a 10 g or would I be pushing it?

Personally think that sounds a little overcrowded, even considering that corys make great cleaners. Bioload will be your largest consideration. I'd think the glowlights can be rehomed to a larger tank. I've got a pair of oto's, five male guppies (four of which are juveniles still), three molly juvenile males and my DG. When my juveniles grow up I'll be overstocked...admittedly I would try all but the tetras. KUP (keep us posted)!

Billbug68 said:
I'm thinking maybe I could get rid of one glowlight and have

5 glowlights
1 female betta
1 dwarf gourami
2 or 3 Pygmy cory

Does this sound good for a 10 g or would I be pushing it?

Imo you should choose between the cories and the DG. DG and bettas are very hit or miss because they are from the same family. Smaller species of cories do better in groups of 6 or more.
What about:
6 glowlights
1 Betta
6 pygmy cories
If you keep up your water changes and have enough filtration it should be fine.

Perfect! Looks great, watch out tho, Gouramis love to.eat certain types of plants & there root!! I put plants in there that are not expensive just do he can pig out on them. I have had mine for 3 mo's & he is happy as can be with 6 neon Tetra, 6 gold neon Tetra & 2 otos, my tank is Crystal clear with 1/3 water changes weekly! Keep me posted! I would love to know how he's doing! Much luck!

Jennie L said:
Perfect! Looks great, watch out tho, Gouramis love to.eat certain types of plants & there root!! I put plants in there that are not expensive just do he can pig out on them. I have had mine for 3 mo's & he is happy as can be with 6 neon Tetra, 6 gold neon Tetra & 2 otos, my tank is Crystal clear with 1/3 water changes weekly! Keep me posted! I would love to know how he's doing! Much luck!

Thank you :) what size tank?

dwarf gourami...sweet fish

:facepalm:My tank is 15 gal. A bit over stocked so neon Tetras are going into 40gal. new tank with a few new buddies to thicken the school in new planted tank + 10 bright eye Rasbora if not more +3 more otos then all will be well in both aquatic havens. I WILL post picks for you when I figure out what's wrong w/camera phone! Silly " s:fish1:mart phones" lol...

Oh I think.pigmy corys may be the otos I was talking about in my tanks(can't spell whole word) Really may be the same fish the moderator was talkinih about. They are very small cat fish who are champs at keeping my tanks free of all algee. I'll find the full name yet they are great fun to watch helpful in my 15 gal tank! Algee busters these lil guys!!! Just FYI...

Last edited:
Jennie L said:
My tank is 15 gal. A bit over stocked so neon Tetras are going into 40gal. new tank with a few new buds to thicken the school in new planted tank + 10 bright eye Rasbora if not more +3 more otos then all will be well in both aquatic havens. I WILL post picks for you when I figure out what's wrong w/camera phone! Silly " smart phones" lol...

My new guy seems to be staying in one place for a while. I'll catch him every once in a while swimming around but when I go to watch he hides again. I suppose he's just getting used to the new tank and tank mates... My betta was all over him for a while, following him around and flaring, but now she's hiding out too... Hopefully they all get used to each other soon!

Jennie L said:
Oh I think.pigmy corys may be the otos I was talking about in my tanks(can't spell whole word) Really may be the same fish the moderator was talkinih about. They are very small cat fish who are champs at keeping my tanks free of all algee. I'll find the full name yet they are great fun to watch helpful in my 15 gal tank! Algee busters these lil guys!!! Just FYI...

Yeah, I've have a problem now with algae ever since I added my driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom