Dwarf Gouramis or Pearl Gouramis? What about both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help deciding what fish I should have in my tank. The tank will also include about 6 to 9 small shoaling/schooling fish like Cherry Barbs or some kind of Tetras (still deciding). What would you recommend?

My ideas are:
- 3 male PEARL Gouramis? Is it safe to only have males?
- 3 male DWARF Gouramis? Is it safe too?
- 3 male DWARF Gouramis and 1 male PEARL Gourami? Is mixing Gouramis ok? Even if they're all males? And will the Pearl be ok as the only Pearl?

The reason I didn't include females in my list of ideas was because they aren't as colorful as males. And the reason I won't have females together with males at all is because I don't want any breeding happening.

Thank you for any help!

What size tank? Planted? My dwarf gouramis killed each other back when I had two of them in a fake planted tank. Beautiful colours but are pretty territorial.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

It's a 30 gallon tank with plenty of fake plants. There are currently no fish in it because I'm still deciding.

Gouramis are NOT social.
In a 30g I'd do
1 Pearl Gourami
OR
1-2 DGs ( 2 if you have plenty of floating plants and sight breaks. )

They can and often do fight and/or stress each other to death. Some people have multiple Gouramis, but many have sad stories of them fighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gouramis and labyrinth fish in general tend to do best alone. In my experience, pearl gouramis are a little more community friendly in general and are much hardier.

Ok, I think I'm going to give up on the Gouramis then. I don't think they'll suit my tank. Thank you all for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom