Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessibell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone here has kept them? I would EVENTUALLY like to try keeping them - maybe in a couple years once I have my own place, and after I get a little more practiced at keeping simpler fish. I understand they eat mostly snails, with small live foods. One of my teachers has a 20 gal tank that is practically wall to wall with small snails. I was wondering if one could set up a five gallon bucket with a sponge filter and heater and keep snails in there? Do snails need live algae - like the kinds that grows when you put your tank in front of a window? Or can they eat commercial foods? I know nothing about keeping snails but if I want to get puffers I guess I better learn! I'm just facinated by them - but I know it's over my head right now:mad:

You can easily breed the snails in a 5 gal tank. I feed my puffers snails and frozen bloodworms. Dwarf puffers are an interesting fish and become quite friendly once they get to recognize you.

Yes they look like very personable little creatures. I see you are in Saskatchewan - I guess this means they are available in Canada? :D Oh happy day! But I must restrain myself. I am going to university again in september and am limiting myself to bettas.

I had south american freshwater puffers for number of years and I fed mine snails, frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp.
They are awsome fish, they have quite the little personalities once they get to know you, I had mind eating out of my hand! Lots of fun to watch.
South Americans are bigger than the dwarfs, they are yellow and black with white bellies. Take a look at this site to find out a little more about personality and needs..
Amazon Puffer, South American Freshwater Puffer, Bee Puffer, Asell's Puffer, Brazilian Puffer Colomesus asellus

Looking forward to seeing your pics when you get them!!

It probably won't be for a while - unless I stumble upon them somewhere and have a weak moment. I doubt it though. I'm trying to limit my "tanks" while at university to two - a ten and a five. I won't have the space for another tank with puffers and a another tank with snails :)

Back
Top Bottom