Dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Trooper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, nice site you have here.

I've recently gotten into fish keeping having bought a 65litre Aquarium. I let it sit for a week before adding any fish.

I went to a local fish store and was recommended Mollies and Blue German Rams, i also bought a pleco.

Having read up on this i can see that GBR's are not ideal for an uncycled tank - i assume this would explain all 3 of them being dead less than 24 hours after putting them into the tank?

Mollies (3) and Pleco (1) seem ok.

I was also recommended by the same fish store to put a small amount of food in the tank during the settling process to let some bacteria build up, but since putting that food in the tank has been really cloudy, it was previously crystal clear.

I don't think i'll be using that fish store again, i assume the Rams were just a bad choice? What about the cloudy water, any ideas? And will it clear in time?

Cheers. :)

GBRs dying so quickly could be more due to improper acclimation rather than the uncycled aquarium. It usually takes 4-8 weeks to properly cycle an aquarium. It can be done fish-in, but I prefer fishless cycling, there are articles for both here on the forums if you do a search. At one week, it's likely your ammonia is still going up and will only get worse. To clean the cloudy water, you'll need a partial water change. Also, if the pleco is a "common pleco" he will get huge.

GBRs dying so quickly could be more due to improper acclimation rather than the uncycled aquarium. It usually takes 4-8 weeks to properly cycle an aquarium. It can be done fish-in, but I prefer fishless cycling, there are articles for both here on the forums if you do a search. At one week, it's likely your ammonia is still going up and will only get worse. To clean the cloudy water, you'll need a partial water change. Also, if the pleco is a "common pleco" he will get huge.

Thank you, i will do a 25% water change today if you think that will help, the pleco getting bigger gives me an excuse to buy a bigger tank at the time. This is just a tank to get me into it really. I acclimated them over the space of an hour, gradually adding more of my water to their bag around every 15 minutes. I am just going to have to cut my losses on the GBRs and stick to something easier, i will read up before buying more fish. Which i am not keen to do until the tank cycles as i don't want to loose any more.

Thank you, i will do a 25% water change today if you think that will help, the pleco getting bigger gives me an excuse to buy a bigger tank at the time. This is just a tank to get me into it really. I acclimated them over the space of an hour, gradually adding more of my water to their bag around every 15 minutes. I am just going to have to cut my losses on the GBRs and stick to something easier, i will read up before buying more fish. Which i am not keen to do until the tank cycles as i don't want to loose any more.

If you're looking to upgrade already, provided you have the funds, go ahead and set up the tank and cycle it :) that way, you can have one in the works while the other is being taken care of.

If you're looking to upgrade already, provided you have the funds, go ahead and set up the tank and cycle it :) that way, you can have one in the works while the other is being taken care of.

I'm not looking to upgrade the set up yet, i want to see how i get on with this one. From previous hobbies i've learnt you're not always best to jump in at the deep end.

Do i just remove 20-25% of the water and replace it with de chrlorinated stuff? What about getting it up to temperature?

I'm not looking to upgrade the set up yet, i want to see how i get on with this one. From previous hobbies i've learnt you're not always best to jump in at the deep end.

Do i just remove 20-25% of the water and replace it with de chrlorinated stuff? What about getting it up to temperature?

I would go for about 50%. Bring the faucet up to about the same temperature, add the dechlorinator, and pour it in slowly. I assume you're not using RODI or any special additives?

I wouldn't distrust the fish store, as long as they didn't tell you that your tank was ready after a week. Like someone else said. It takes much longer than a week too cycle the tank.

A good tip. If you plan to buy another tank, using an old filter from your old tank will help jump start the new tank. Assuming you don't have any kind of infection in your old tank. It can also help to put old tank water in the new tank when you first fill it.

I wouldn't distrust the fish store, as long as they didn't tell you that your tank was ready after a week. Like someone else said. It takes much longer than a week too cycle the tank.

A good tip. If you plan to buy another tank, using an old filter from your old tank will help jump start the new tank. Assuming you don't have any kind of infection in your old tank. It can also help to put old tank water in the new tank when you first fill it.

No they didn't and i knew it wouldn't be i went in looking for some hardy fish to have in it whilst it cycled and settled in, told to buy the rams, got home read up on them and they are anything but ideal.

When i do buy a new tank rest assured there will be a thread posted asking for the best way to do it :D

What kind of pleco is it

Common Pleco i think, these photos also give an idea of how cloudy the water it, it has been like that ever since i put a small amount of food in to help the bacteria, some more advice i wish i'd never adhered to :banghead:

No they didn't and i knew it wouldn't be i went in looking for some hardy fish to have in it whilst it cycled and settled in, told to buy the rams, got home read up on them and they are anything but ideal.

When i do buy a new tank rest assured there will be a thread posted asking for the best way to do it :D

I have red glass barbs, and by far they are the toughest fish I have. I bought them when I first started and I had no idea what I was doing. They have survived the uncycled tank, and time I overdose for ich. I haven't lost a single one. I've been keeping fish a little over a year now.

Do you have a test kit? You need one to test water parameters. You should get the API freshwater master test kit. On amazon it is cheap, like 20$ with free shipping.

If the pleco is a common pleco (just look up common pleco on google images) then it will grow far too big for your tank.

Also, mollies are also too big for your tank, which is about 17 gallons.

Welcome to AA!

50% water change done, i tried to balance the temps as much as possible and used de chlorinator.

I've not yet ordered a test kit, i assume they are more or less mandatory when fish keeping?

50% water change done, i tried to balance the temps as much as possible and used de chlorinator.

I've not yet ordered a test kit, i assume they are more or less mandatory when fish keeping?

Yes, as mentioned API is the preferred choice. test kits will help you prevent problems, and could help solves ones that do occur.

I guess it's best to buy one then, I dont want to be the guy who asks for advice, doesn't take the advice given then moans when his tank is wiped out :lol:

LFS has one but they're £35 :eek: ($55) only £21 (or $33) on eBay

I guess it's best to buy one then, I dont want to be the guy who asks for advice, doesn't take the advice given then moans when his tank is wiped out :lol:

LFS has one but they're £35 :eek: ($55) only £21 (or $33) on eBay

I am so glad to hear you say that, a out taking advice.
I have been neglecting to buy a master test kit, but I plan to soon.

Back
Top Bottom