Easy plants for 10 gal betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jadedrain_06

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 10 gallon tank finally finished cycling! YAY! I have decided to get a male betta sometime next weekend. I didn't even think about the fake plastic plants I put in could hurt a bettas fins. So I will obviously be taking some of the plants out now and either replace them with silk or real. The idea of real plants kind of spooks me since I have never ever had real plants in a tank before. I just have gravel in the bottom now so would I have to add different substrate? What are some very easy plants to care for? Should I invest in a light timer? Does having real plants require more care then just trimming old leaves? Thank you in advance!

The most important determinant of what you can grow is: what is your light?

Some super easy plants that do not require substrate are anubias & java ferns. They need relatively low light (but will grow better with more).

Another vote for anubias + java fern. They are the only plants that I haven't managed to murder at this point.

PLUS for those, you don't even need and special substrate, because you don't plant the roots (you tie the plants to a rock or driftwood)

I have an Argentine sword in my 10g. I just bought the $10 flourescent 15w lights from petco and they work fine for simple plants. Guppy grass is super easy too, so is hornwort. I don't even use ferts for any plants in any of my 4 planted tanks and everything grows just fine.
I also agree about anubias. I have never grown java ferns, but I hear they are really easy too. :)
I wouldn't personally bother with a light timer, but thats up to you.

Ditto with everything above plus banana plants are super easy, low light and will give the Betta a place to hide

Back
Top Bottom