Eating enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I feed my ram 2 pellets a day. The pellets are small, about the size of a schooling fish's (like a tetra, danio, barb, etc.) eye. They are quite small. Is that enough for him/her. He/she looks fine, not fat, but not super skinny either. But I put in about 4 next to them, and they pick up one and chew on it, then seem to not get the others. Still chewing I guess? If you have experience with dwarf cichlids then your help would be appreciated.

Also, I have heard that some cichlids like to graze on algae covered rocks (particularly mbuna). I am sure that would supplement the rams diet, and I would be able to put it in if he/she will eat it. Would they? Should I just try anyway? Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and are there any vegetables that I can feed it or my other fish. I have the ram and 7 bloodfin tetras, and 6 rummynose tetras, and its a 20 gallon tall tank.

The amount of food that you are feeding your ram shouldn't be a big issue. Their stomachs are about the size of their eyes. As for adding the algae covered rocks to the tank; I am not sure how much the ram would pay attention to it. I add algae rocks to my tank occasionally and my ram pretty much ignores them, but the guppies, plecos, and shrimp LOVE them. I would probably skip feeding veggies personally, there doesn't really seem to be any need for those particular fish to have veggies in their diet beyond what is normally in their food.

Okay, thank you. It wasn't much of a deal really, but I have never kept cichlids before. Well, actually, this is my first tank, but I had my other fish for 2 months before the ram.

Oh, and are there any vegetables that I can feed it or my other fish. I have the ram and 7 bloodfin tetras, and 6 rummynose tetras, and its a 20 gallon tall tank.

Peas are often fed to rams (and any other fish). Most people just use the frozen kind. Just take a pea or two, microwave it a bit in some water to soften it, smash it with your finger and drop into tank! It helps to clear the digestional track of your fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom