Eheim Media Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blugil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up a couple used canisters on ebay and could use some feedback on media. I have an Ecco 2233 that will go on what I hope to be a 60g planted small fish community tank.

The second is a 2217 which for now will be on a 120 with a variety of large/messy fish to clean up after. Thanks for any advice in advance.

I don't know about the Ecco 2233 but I use a 2217 on my 75 gal. planted tank. They are nice filters and very quiet. They do not come with media baskets. The way I set mine up is (Bottom - Top) sponges(2), Ceramic tubes, sponge (1), sintered glass in media bag, Fiter floss (2). You will find if you buy the media bags it will make your life so much easier as the different media will not mix with each other. You can change this order to meet your needs. Almost anything works....lol

Thanks for the info...how much of the ceramic tubes do you use and do you buy in a bag are is there a bag that can be filled from a bulk purchase....I guess I want to make sure I have enough media when I set it up and it holds quiet a bit as you know better than I

If I were you, I'd seriously consider stacking it (Bot to Top) w/

plastic spacer
coarse Eheim sponge
nylon pot scrubbers
fine Eheim sponge
linen handkercheif
plastic spacer

the spacers should have come w/ filter - they look like a little plant stand or grating w/ legs.

Pot scrubbers provide tons of surface area for bacterial colonization.
Sponges grab coarse > medium particulates
handkercheif gets really fine stuff (like volvox, some euglenoid algae species).

Put enough scrubbers in there so that the filter top has to push everything down a little bit. Wrap the corners of the kercheif around the top spacer (just make sure there's nothing long enough to get sucket into the impeller chamber).

Forgot the plastic spacers..thanx squawkbert. I only use the ceramic rings because they came with the filter. They are expensive to buy so since you can pretty much do what you want in canister squawkberts way works just as good and is a lot cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom