Electric Yellow(Lab) & Tiger Oscar. May adopt...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh808

Aquarium Advice Activist
A friend has out grown his two fish. A 4-5" Tiger Oscar and a 2" Electric yellow. He's had them together in a 10 gal for quite some time. He heard I had tanks and asked if I would take them. I was going to add them together with my tiger convict and if they do well together, they'll get moved to the 55 once it is set up. Anything wrong with that?
Scott

That oscar will grow a inch per month till it hit's the 9" mark and will require a 55g at the bare minimun to himself which will leave no room for any other fish. Second I do not advise mixing continents when it comes to cichlids, africans and south americans have different aggression and food requirements. I commend you for for wanting to help but unless you get a bigger tank or rehome the other fish it's slightly better. Please find a home for that poor oscar I can only imagine the torment of being in that little tank.

That oscar will grow a inch per month till it hit's the 9" mark and will require a 55g at the bare minimun to himself which will leave no room for any other fish. Second I do not advise mixing continents when it comes to cichlids, africans and south americans have different aggression and food requirements. I commend you for for wanting to help but unless you get a bigger tank or rehome the other fish it's slightly better. Please find a home for that poor oscar I can only imagine the torment of being in that little tank.

HUKIT:
What if I add the oscar to my 75 gal with the convicts. Didn't have any problems last time I had convicts and oscars mixed in a 55gal

HUKIT:
What if I add the oscar to my 75 gal with the convicts. Didn't have any problems last time I had convicts and oscars mixed in a 55gal

A Oscar and convicts in a 75 would be good. If they convicts are breeding they get a little testy but should work well. Good luck and there's always a great feeling rescuing fish. That's where my breeding pair of oscars came from.

A Oscar and convicts in a 75 would be good. If they convicts are breeding they get a little testy but should work well. Good luck and there's always a great feeling rescuing fish. That's where my breeding pair of oscars came from.
cool!!:cool:
I have two pairs of breeding convicts, but had a pair last time too and the oscars got curious, but not for long...Convicts set them straight...
:D

Hm, I have been worried about keeping a pair of convicts with an Oscar. My Oscar seems a bit of a wimp. ;) He cowers in the corner when I change water, or from my hand. He's definitely the boss in the tank but acts like he's scared a lot...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, I have been worried about keeping a pair of convicts with an Oscar. My Oscar seems a bit of a wimp. ;) He cowers in the corner when I change water, or from my hand. He's definitely the boss in the tank but acts like he's scared a lot...

I have had 6 oscars in my 20 years of fish keeping an they have all been huge baby drama queens. I have heard stories of fiesty oscars but have never persoanlly experienced this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom