Elephant Nose Yes or No

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHRIMP17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if i could get an Elephant nose to put in my 68 us gallons aquarium. It has a pH of 7.8.

It has :
3 Rosy Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Common Pleco
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Bamboo Shrimp

I want to know what i can add to this, i find it very hard to find fish because of the alkaline pH. :confused:

Maximum of 7.5 is recommended so your not to far outside, if you take your time and acclimatise over a good hour or two you might be okay, or put a bit of bogwood in your tank as it will bring your ph down to a better level for it - you should have some in there for your Pleco's anyway.

Not to change the topic, but didn't you just make a post about this tank about how the fish keep dying?

I say this because you said it was 40g in the last thread.

Yes, i have recently found out that i own the juwel vision 260 not the juwel vision 180, that i was originally told.

SHRIMP17 said:
Yes, i have recently found out that i own the juwel vision 260 not the juwel vision 180, that i was originally told.

Gotcha gotcha! That's always great news when you find out you have a bigger tank than thought :D

That being said though, if other fish are having problems living, I may stay away from an Elephant Nose. They can be sensitive in aquaria. You have plenty of space for it so once you get that issue done I think you'll be a-ok for the Elephant Nose.

Yeah, i was quite happy that i had lodes more space! :D Yes i should try and figure out the problem and solve it, before i get an elephant nose. Thanks

SHRIMP17 said:
Hi in my 40g aquarium i have:
1 Sailfin Dalmation Molly
3 Rosy Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Common Pleco (Added 3 days ago)
1 Bamboo Shrimp

These are the fish that have managed to survive, but i recently put in a common pleco that died the next day and i have no idea why, i have also had a total of 15 fish that have all died in my aquarium after 3 months. I don't know what is wrong. :confused: All of my fish get along ok except for the little chas between the shark and rosy Barbs.

Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-10
pH-7.8

Is this the same tank? What size is it actually?

Definitely get your problem with your tank sorted first, I have an elephant nose & they're very sensitive as been said. But once everything is ok he should be fine, just make sure there's no one in to bother him as it can stress them. They're great fish :)

Remember to boil the bogwood first, or it will release a load of tannins into the water. In a Juwel tank that size you could get a few bits, it's really good for most fish as they have hiding places, lower ph, some pleco also need it in there diet as well. I have the juwel 240 rio with loads of bogwood and my ph doesn't shift above 6.7. Alternatively if you don't fancy loads of wood, Tyneside aquatics sell peat balls on eBay they will also naturally reduce the ph to.

Back
Top Bottom