Elevated ammonia and nitrite but low nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krely

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29G semi planted tank. Over the past week my levels have gone out of whack. Ph is about 6.2. Ammonia is at .35. Nitrite is around .75 to .85 with nitrates at 0. I am running a eheim 2215 canister on the tank in case that is relevant. Stock is at about 15 fish made up of barbs platys Molly's and a rainbow shark and gourami 1 catfish and amano shrimp. Any help and advise would be much appreciated.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also this tank has been setup for about 4 months now

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi. Ph is too low for bacteria to flourish and may have caused your mini cycle. Check your Kh (carbonate hardness) and if it is very low (less than 3) then your tank could be susceptible to an acid crash. Kh is easily raised (slowly) with bicarbonate of soda. I use it all the time as my tap water is <1 Kh. I use 2.5 ml (half a teaspoon) per 10 litres of water added at WC to raise to 6 Kh but you will need increase Kh gradually.
In any case you need to do water changes to bring down ammonia and nitrites. Then treat the tank as if you are doing a fish in cycle. Not ideal but the likely hood is the bacteria is not totally depleted and the cycle will kick in much quicker than cycling from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

Hello Kre...

It appears your tank is going through the nitrogen cycle. So, treat it that way. Test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, then remove a quarter of the tank water and replace it with treated tap water. Keep up the daily tests and remove the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no traces of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled. After this point, you remove and replace half the tank water weekly to maintain steady, safe water conditions.

B

Hello Kre...

It appears your tank is going through the nitrogen cycle. So, treat it that way. Test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test for either, then remove a quarter of the tank water and replace it with treated tap water. Keep up the daily tests and remove the water when needed. When you have several daily tests with no traces of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled. After this point, you remove and replace half the tank water weekly to maintain steady, safe water conditions.

B

Doing water changes during a cycle is often counter productive and only really needed if the ammonia gets over4-5ppm or nitrite gets over 3-4ppm.
doing a water change at any trace of either is not needed and only serves to lengthen the cycling process.

oops, didn't notice that the tank has been up for a while.

Doing water changes during a cycle is often counter productive and only really needed if the ammonia gets over4-5ppm or nitrite gets over 3-4ppm.
doing a water change at any trace of either is not needed and only serves to lengthen the cycling process.

oops, didn't notice that the tank has been up for a while.

He has fish.....
Oops you edited.....LOL

Back
Top Bottom