Empty 20 gallon tank stocking advice, really don't want to over do it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcrut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I'm a novice to fish keeping, I've had a 5 gallon unheated Fluval tank for 2 years. Stocked with White Cloud Mountain Minnow, Cherry Shrimp, a dime sized snail and a forest of Java Fern.

I've recently purchased a 20 gallon tall tank and I'm curious about what species I should stock it with, as well as how many. I would like a multi level community tank. I'm thinking a school (4) of a Cory Cat species, Neon Tetra or Green Barb (4-6) and a centerpiece fish, possibly a Betta or an easy to care for Gourami.

I'm hoping to create a colorful, planted, multi level and balanced ecosystem.

What are everyone's opinions? Any ideas on species and stocking levels? Below are some tank and equipment specs.

I've listed some setup specs below.

Thank you very much for your advice!

-20 gallon Marina Deluxe Kit
-24 long X 12 wide X 15 tall
- Full Spectrum 15W flourecent light
- Hanging filter
- Fluval E50 heater
- Under gravel bubble hose

A school of tetras or barbs and maybe some catfish would be nice. Skip the centerpiece fish. One fish alone with no others of its species will not be happy.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

That's a great sized tank, and I love the stocking ideas!

I have a 20 high set up with 6 neon tetras, 6 pristella tetras, 5 baby bronze cories, a female betta, a young swordtail, and planning to add 8 ember tetras. Eventually will move the cories to a different tank, as they have a higher bioload.

For your tank, I'd suggest 5-6 cories as they are very social! Have you looked at Pygmy, Habrous, or Hastatus cories? You could easily also fit in another school of tetras, if you wanted to.

I have to disagree about the centerpiece fish, not all fish live in groups. Bettas do very well without their kind, as do gouramis.

I've recently purchased a 20 gallon tall tank and I'm curious about what species I should stock it with, as well as how many. I would like a multi level community tank. I'm thinking a school (4) of a Cory Cat species, Neon Tetra or Green Barb (4-6) and a centerpiece fish, possibly a Betta or an easy to care for Gourami.

Welcome to the hobby! (y)

My first suggestion would be to get one more cory: they like to be in groups of five or more. You'll see more interesting behavior out of them, too. And consider the dwarf cory species, such as corydoras habrosus. They'll fit a 20 better.

Regarding the barbs, are you talking about the Green Barb (Puntius semifasciolatus) or the Green Tiger Barb (Puntius tetrazona)? The latter would be much too aggressive, imho.

The Green Barb is peaceful, but, from what I've read, likes a larger tank with plenty of swimming space and room to grow. It also like cooler water than the betta.

I'd consider either the Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya), or a small school of tetras. I've read, though this may be disputed, that Green Neons like water closer to a betta's ideal than "regular" neons, do.

Since it's a new tank, though, I'd probably go with the cherry barbs, which are very attractive in their breeding colors. Neons can be rather delicate in new tanks. (He wrote, wincing. :rolleyes: )

Hope this helps! :dance:

Welcome to the hobby! (y)

My first suggestion would be to get one more cory: they like to be in groups of five or more. You'll see more interesting behavior out of them, too. And consider the dwarf cory species, such as corydoras habrosus. They'll fit a 20 better.

Regarding the barbs, are you talking about the Green Barb (Puntius semifasciolatus) or the Green Tiger Barb (Puntius tetrazona)? The latter would be much too aggressive, imho.

The Green Barb is peaceful, but, from what I've read, likes a larger tank with plenty of swimming space and room to grow. It also like cooler water than the betta.

I'd consider either the Cherry Barb (Puntius titteya), or a small school of tetras. I've read, though this may be disputed, that Green Neons like water closer to a betta's ideal than "regular" neons, do.

Since it's a new tank, though, I'd probably go with the cherry barbs, which are very attractive in their breeding colors. Neons can be rather delicate in new tanks. (He wrote, wincing. :rolleyes: )

Hope this helps! :dance:

+1!

Just want to say dwarf cories are what I was talking about as well. Dwarf cories do best in large schools, 8+ since they are so small. The bigger cories are fine in groups of 4-5.

Back
Top Bottom