Empty 40 gallon, set-up and idea welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've got an empty 40 gallon, no lid, no lights, filter, nada. Any suggestions for theme? How about plants? And best of all, FISH. Haha, I am stumped on what to do with this one. I also have an empty 30 gallon with the same problem. :blink:

Get all your equipment and maintenance supplies first. Then decide what kind of tank you want to have. Next, decide on fish in or fishless cycling. If you do fish in, you want only a couple of inches worth of fishes to begin. Then you can slowly add fish once your tank is fully cycled. You want to add fish at a rate of 25-50% the amount your tank already has every one to two weeks after cycling. Keep in mind the full grown length of each fish before you stock. Pick any theme you want. I have a simple gravel and light plastic plant theme. If you are doing tropical fish,I recommend a heater sufficient for your tank if your home does not keep the tank water at optimal temp. I just got one for mine because this winter weather makes it hard to heat the house, and with my tropical fish, the water has gotten too cold. So keep that in mind.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hillstream loaches are adorable! I've never had loaches before, are they difficult?

I would say hillstream loaches are intermediate. They have a few special needs and can sometimes be hard to get started with but once they settle in they're very hardy! Read those links I posted!

Back
Top Bottom