Eschies first GBR tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eschie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After lurking on this site for quite a while, I have decided to post my own adventure! I've dealt with the guppy fun tank and platy communities but now I'm stepping it up a notch. I just bought my own 20 gallon and I plan on stocking it with a pair of German Blue Rams and some other community fish.

My stocking ideas-
2x GBRs
5x harlequin rasboras or neon tetras
1x pleco
3-5x some other schooling fish

What do y'all think about that? I am a little unsure about what schooling fish to add with the rams as I hope to get them to be able to safely spawn.

I will also be tracking my cycle as it goes on here to. :) ill be getting my API master kit tomorrow and some ammonia to start the tank. I also have a large amount of seed material so hopefully I can get the cycle done pretty quickly.

Here's a few pics of the rock setup without the live plants yet.

image-3922587650.jpg

image-4102903274.jpg

If you have any hints, tips or opinions please feel free to speak up. :) I can't wait to get this thing up and running

Good luck with the tank. I just recommend researching as much as you can about the fish you want as possible, and add the GBRs last. What kind of pleco are you planning on getting? I like the rocks and I'm sure it will look better with plants. I would get a background, or it would probably look nice with the back painted black.

GBRs need a reasonably mature tank generally, so be careful how early you put them in. Are you planning on some floating plants? They like a little cover from the light so a plant like frogbit is recommended.

Also, if you want them to have a good, secessful spawn, IMO, you should have them in a ten gal by themselves. It is possible to have a sucessful spawn in the community tank setting.Hatchet fish would be a good second schooling fish. I am also cycling a twentyfive gallon fish tank that will have a pair of rams, 6 Hatchet Fish, 10 Ember Tetras, and 3 Upside Down Cats or PitBull Plecos.Have fun!

You too!

And a quick question. Would a pH of around 8.2 or so hurt my chances of keeping/ breeding the rams?

I believe with rams you want to be between 7-7.5 in ph and if breeding I think I read 6.5 but don't hold me 100% on that. If you want to drop your ph add some driftwood to your tank. Mopani is the preferred while there are others available such as Malaysia driftwood which can bleed a reddish tinge into your water.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php

I got some info here. Just general info I guess. I'm sure someone here will clarify in depth :)

Day 4-

Ammo- 1.0
Nitrites- .25
Nitrates- haha
Doses the ammonia back up to 4.0 ppm

Hi there! I am also planning in gbr's ad ph is 6.6 so I think that is ideal. For you, try adding driftwood to lower it naturally. As for stock, you could do
6 harqualin rasboras
2 German blue rams
6 neon tetras
1 BN pleco

Is it weird at all to have a nitrate reading this early in a cycle? It's day 6 in my fishless cycle.

Ammo- 1-2 ppm
Ites- 2-5 ppm
Ates- 20 ppm

I dosed the ammonia back up to 4 ppm

Hi there! I am also planning in gbr's ad ph is 6.6 so I think that is ideal. For you, try adding driftwood to lower it naturally. As for stock, you could do
6 harqualin rasboras
2 German blue rams
6 neon tetras
1 BN pleco

I'm really likening this stock. What order do y'all think would be best to add them in?

I'm really likening this stock. What order do y'all think would be best to add them in?

Are you fishless or fish in cycling? If fishless I would do everything except the rams and wait 3-4 months before adding the rams. However if you want rams right away check out Bolivian rams, they are much hardier than other rams. If fish in, I would start with either rasboras or tetras, I know tetras are hardy... Pretty sure rasboras are as well but not 100% as I've never had them.

Back
Top Bottom