Everything I Need To Know About Having A 10 Gal Fresh Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gal fresh water. I have 3 tiger sharbs, sucker fish, and a bala shark and i know i need a bigger tank but im stuck with this 10 gal for now till i get a bigger one. I have a filter, water heater, and light. The filter has one of those pads. How many times do i change the pad? Its a 10 gal tank. How often do i do water changes? Eveytime i do a water change do i add more of the stuff to make the water good for fish? I have the salt for freshwater fish and these drops and these drops for instant fish. Please help me i need to know all of this.

Honestly, I would suggest you take all the fish back to the store and start from scratch. You are going to have nothing but problems with the fish you have, and it's just a setup for failure. We can help you set up a healthy tank that isn't overstocked that you can enjoy instead of dealing with problem after problem.

As to everything else:

1. How long has the tank been set up and running with fish in it?

2. Never change the pad, just rinse it in the tank water you take out when you do a water change. If you don't know about water changes, do a search within this forum. Usually you gravel vac when you do one, and you take out around 15-25% of the tank water and replace it with fresh water (that's been treated with dechlorinator
). It's usually once a week, but with your stock it's probably going to be a lot more.

3. Before you start adding anymore drops, please post what exactly they say on the label. Some stuff shouldn't be over used, other stuff you might only need when you do a water change. Do NOT add the salt.

Well obviously you need a bigger tank... Like 50 gallons +
You should change the filter cartridge every month, or when it starts to fall apart.
You should do a 30% water change once a week, or a 15% water change twice per week. This includes using gravel vacumm.
When you are adding water follow directions and "clean" the water you are adding to the tank. So if your doing a 30 percent water change add enough water conditioner to clean about 3.5 gallons of water.

I suggest you return the fish as I advised in the other thread as well, also reading the articles I posted in your other thread.
There are many lovely nano fish that are suitable for a 10g tank that we would be happy to help you choose and care for after you learn about the cycling process :) but the fish you currently have will always be problematic in a tank so small and will not live harmoniously for very long.

Ok thank u it really helped imma ask my pet store if i can return them

Hi! I also have a 10 gal tank! I know that they said that you can't keep a bala shark in a 10 gal, well, I think you can keep it until you can get a bigger tank. It won't get full sized overnight! Anyway, only change filter pads when they fall apart. The pads are where ALOT of good bacteria live. If they get dirty, wash them with old tank water, NEVER with tap water, it will kill the bacteria. I usually do 10% water changes once a week. I hope this helped! :)

No problem :) I know how you feel, I just cycled my 10 gal. I really wouldn't worry about that bala shark, I had two of them, they stay small for a while :) as long as your tank is cycled, it will be fine :)

The issue you will notice first I think is the tiger barbs will start picking on each other and one of them will become the dominant one and chase and nip the other two to death.

I will move them as soon as i can and im going to see if i can return them tommorow

Hi! I also have a 10 gal tank! I know that they said that you can't keep a bala shark in a 10 gal, well, I think you can keep it until you can get a bigger tank. It won't get full sized overnight! Anyway, only change filter pads when they fall apart. The pads are where ALOT of good bacteria live. If they get dirty, wash them with old tank water, NEVER with tap water, it will kill the bacteria. I usually do 10% water changes once a week. I hope this helped! :)

I totally disagree, the bala shark will stunt growth any day now, which means his body will stop growing but not his organs. This will kill him. The tiger barbs dont have enough room to swim and will start to fight the bala and killing each other. Take these fish back to the store and start from scratch with new fish. What if it turns out OP doesnt get a bigger tank? For the bala shark MINIMUM is 125, they grow to 1' is size, but no worries then, if you keep it in this tank it will just die in a matter of months.

Also this relates to the comet goldfish youve got but it needs a pond.

Last edited:
I dont have a comet goldfish lol and yeah i know im taking them backb

1. You shouldn't keep a bala shark in a ten gallon tank for longer than a day. Literally. They need LOTS of room to swim around, even if they are still small. Also, they are schooling fish so you would need 4 or 5 probably.

2. Tap water actually doesn't kill those kinds of bacteria, except for a prolonged period of time.

3. 10 % water changes is not enough, especially with a tank as overstocked as this.

Absolutely incorrect :(.

Yes i know fishperson everyone told me that already -_-

Is that why you thanked the person who said that and told them that their advice helped?

Besides, I wasn't even addressing you!

All I meant was that instead of freaking out like everyone was, just relax! The shark isn't going to get full grown overnight! So, about the tap water, chlorine doesn't kill bacteria?! WHAT?!?!? So, they just put in our drinking water for nothing?! Chlorine kills a good portion of good bacteria in your tank.

I have a perfectly running, cycled and healthy aquarium, don't criticize the way I run it.

I do agree that with 10% water changes not being enough, the tank is overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom