Everything is to high, 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ylreveb20

Aquarium Advice Regular
ph, alkaline, hardness and nitrate is to high in fish tank, please help!!! :'( I don't want my fish to die.

Can you give us more info? What are the levels, stock etc?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Test strips are notoriously unreliable. You'd be better off with an API Master Test Kit for more accurate readings.
If your nitrates are high, a large water change and substrate vac is your best bet, with regular maintenance to follow. If the strip is correct, it looks like nitrates are 40 ppm, which isn't deadly to your fish, but at a level where a water change is called for. It looks like nitrites are 0 ppm, which is good.
What do your hardness and PH normally run? Also, what types of fish do you have in the tank? Some fish prefer hard water and base PH. If you have acidic PH fish, you can likely buy RO water at a LFS, usually for around .50 per gallon.

My fish died, only have two baby convicts left. I'm not going to buy more till I figure out the water.

Very sorry to hear, they died.

Please take a bit of time and read the article for Getting Started for your aquarium.

One of the biggest issues is having beneficial bacteria aka BB or bb, established in your filter to help the water be processed of waste. The nitrification cycle. One of the very most important things to learn about.

Take a test of your tap water after sitting in a rinsed clean cup for 24-48 hours.

What kind of water dechlorinator are you using and do you know if it treats Chloramines too?

If so, if your town water company uses them, you usually need to use a larger dose of conditioner because they are harder to bind/break down than just Chlorine, though not all water conditioners are effective for Chloramine (it will say if it does).

Get a liquid tester like API master kit mentioned already.

If you want to try and keep the baby fish you have going, please do some water changes.
2 30-50%

Test again.

Here are 2 more articles you can read after the getting started one.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom