existing filter and LFS driftwood for cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachxlutz

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey, i've got another question. i know adding some substrate from an existing tank will get your cycling done quicker, but what about this...

i added my old filter, after rinsing in tank water, into my new filter system in my new tank along with its new filters (its a much larger system) and also added a piece of real 12" driftwood from my LFS.

so i guess my question is, does the LFS driftwood contain enough bacteria to do anything significant? and am i just wasting time with the used filter in there?

If the driftwood was in a tank with fish when you bought it, it might have some beneficial bacteria on it. If it was dry or just in with plants, it won't help the cycle.
The old filter media will definitely help. Are you doing a fishless cycle or a cycle with fish?

1. the driftwood was throughly water logged and in a tank with plants and what i assumed were koi, i didn't look too much.

2.i'm doing a cycle with fish. i put 5 large Danios in the tank along with about 8 plant bulbs from the LFS and the driftwood.

dont want to steal your topic or anything but how long should you keep a fiter on an old tank then switch it to a new tank to cycle it? is 1 week ok?

The driftwood should have bacteria on it just like any other decoration. The old filter should really help.

ryan - at least 4 weeks.

i would say you might want to keep it in longer than that... it takes a while for these things to happen. i'm going to leave the dirty filter in the new tank until the cycle is complete, just to be safe.

all i have is one of those strip test kits, i'm going to get the AP Master Test Kit tomorrow.. but today here is what i have.

nitrate: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
GH: 75ish
KH: 80ish
pH: 7.2

has my cycle not started yet? the filter has been in there for 2 days and the driftwood and 5 fish for one day... how long will it take using old media? i assume it will be much quicker than the 5 to 6 week cycle for completely new tanks.

nah, this little Jungle 5-1 kit only has nitrAte, nitrIte, Hardness, Alkalinity and pH.

I'll have the new kit in my hands tomorrow courtesy of Petsmart's self-price matching policy. :)

you may wanna worry about parasites in the driftwood, if the koi tank had any parasites like ich of worms they could have gotten into the driftwood, I would go ahead and treat the tank while it cycles to be safe, iono about how weel driftwood holds bacteria

Back
Top Bottom