external filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Naws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a used aquarium that I want to buy but it comes with an external filter. I dont know too much about equipment so is an external filter enough or would I need to buy another one?

Also does anyone know where I can get a decent wooden stand for a good price?

its a 33 gallon tank
the filter is an eheim type 2213, is that a good one?

The Eheim canisters (that's what you have) are top of the line. If it is in good condition, what you have is way better than any internal or HOB filters typically used in a 33 gal.

Re: stand - where do you live?

The best price for a solid wood stand <that is what I would consider a decent stand ... avoid particle board!> would be to build your own. You can look for used at Craig's list or the classifies. Big Al's have solid wood stands at good price, but unless you have a store close by, shipping a heavy stand (60+ lb) will cost you.

This is an eg: Perfecto Sedona Cabinet-30" x 12"-Red Oak at Big Al's Online

thanks, i already found a stand

I'm also getting a heater, light and gravel with the tank,
what other equipment do I need to buy to start my new freshwater setup?

.... and a test kit (liquid one ... people like the API master kit) to monitor your levels,
a good thermometer to take the water temperature (heater dials are inaccurate so you need to double check the temp.)

Also don't forget a clean (new) bucket for your water changes, and a good dechlorinator (I like Prime) for the water .... and lots of old towels for messes! <I always spill water working on the tanks.>

Some fish also like to have some drift wood to chew on (eg Plecos), others like some hiding places - plants (real or fake), decorations, caves ...

Back
Top Bottom