Extremely New to Fishkeeping! Need Some Questions Answered.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattyCakes81

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!

I have been researching tropical freshwater aquariums through the Internet & books for a while, now! I feel I am ready to start in this hobby!!
I currently have the BARE BONES of a 20 high gallon tank and stand(no hood or top). First I apologize for the long post! My questions are as follow:

1.Do I need a hood and glass canopy?
2.I want to give it a go on plants what extra things I need to have a planted tank?
2a.What kind of lighting is needed for "beginner plants"?
3a.Do I need to use something like, Flourite or Eco-complete?

3. I want to have cories in my tank, what substrate wont hurt them?
4.Is an Aquaclear 50 good or an overkill?
5.What type of plants are good for a beginner like me?
6.Stocking Ideas? I would like all the levels of the tank to be covered. I like species that stay rather small(up to 3 in. or so) I like platies, guppies, dwarf gourami, cories, betta, cardinal tetra, snails.
7.What type of heater you recommend and why?
8.For this tank with the Aquaclear filter, Do I need extra aeration?
9.Do I put the plants before I start cycling or after?

Once again I apologize for the long post!! I really want to start the right way in this hobby!! Any advice, suggestions and opinions are welcome!! I need all the help that can be offered!

Much Thanks,

Patty

Hi and welcome! My replies below in blue....

Hi!

I have been researching tropical freshwater aquariums through the Internet & books for a while, now! I feel I am ready to start in this hobby!!
I currently have the BARE BONES of a 20 high gallon tank and stand(no hood or top). First I apologize for the long post! My questions are as follow:

1.Do I need a hood and glass canopy? Many people have open-topped aquariums so it can work. I guess it would mostly depend on the type of fish you want to keep and whether they tend to be jumpers.
2.I want to give it a go on plants what extra things I need to have a planted tank?
2a.What kind of lighting is needed for "beginner plants"? Lighting is the most important. For easy low-light plants you can usually get away with the lighting that came with the tank. If you have a lot of light you'll need to supplement with fertilizers and such to keep things balanced.
3a.Do I need to use something like, Flourite or Eco-complete? I would say no, not really. I have plants in sand and they do well. Some plants would benefit from root fertilizer tabs depending on what they are (swords, etc).

3. I want to have cories in my tank, what substrate wont hurt them? Smooth round gravel or fine sand (preferred)
4.Is an Aquaclear 50 good or an overkill? Nope, that's perfect
5.What type of plants are good for a beginner like me? You could start with low-light plants like anubias, java fern. The Internet has lots of info for listings of low-light plants that would work.
6.Stocking Ideas? I would like all the levels of the tank to be covered. I like species that stay rather small(up to 3 in. or so) I like platies, guppies, dwarf gourami, cories, betta, cardinal tetra, snails. A 20 gal is a good size. Since you want Corys I'd suggest the smaller type like dwarf, pygmy or Panda (I have Pandas, they are cute little buggers). Bettas are hit and miss in community tanks; you can try it but I'd have a backup plan for teh Betta if it didn't work out (plus Bettas and other types of fish with long flowy fins like Guppies are usually a recipe for disaster). You could so something like: 6 Panda Cory, 6 Cardinal tetra, 1 platy, 2 guppies, 1 Dwarf Gourami. There are other combos though, that's just one of many.
7.What type of heater you recommend and why? I like the Aqueon heaters as they are pretty accurate and adjustable. I'd also recommend a mercury thermometer to double-check the water temp.
8.For this tank with the Aquaclear filter, Do I need extra aeration? Probably not. If you like the look of an air stone or bubble wand you could certainly get one but the AC should provide more than enough agitation.
9.Do I put the plants before I start cycling or after? Anytime is fine. How are you planning to cycle? The link in my signature below (guide to starting a freshwater aquarium) might be of some help too.

Once again I apologize for the long post!! I really want to start the right way in this hobby!! Any advice, suggestions and opinions are welcome!! I need all the help that can be offered!

Much Thanks,

Patty

Heya I answered your questions in the quote, pm me if you want to know more.
PattyCakes81 said:
Hi!

1.Do I need a hood and glass canopy?
2.I want to give it a go on plants what extra things I need to have a planted tank? You can try liquid fertilizer, if you don't plan on shrimp or snail, otherwise CO2 is your plantsmagic
2a.What kind of lighting is needed for "beginner plants"? All light is ok, Im not fond of ledlight, don't know but it's different, font ask why:p
3a.Do I need to use something like, Flourite or Eco-complete?
No idea
3. I want to have cories in my tank, what substrate wont hurt them? Riversand, not sharp edged soil
4.Is an Aquaclear 50 good or an overkill? You prolly can adjust the pump till you have the right exhaust
5.What type of plants are good for a beginner like me? Cryptocorine, java fern. Alot of plants do just fine. Red leafed plants are little tricky sometimes
6.Stocking Ideas? I would like all the levels of the tank to be covered. I like species that stay rather small(up to 3 in. or so) I like platies, guppies, dwarf gourami, cories, betta, cardinal tetra, snails. If you give me the sizes of the tank it's easier to tell.
7.What type of heater you recommend and why? One from jager Deutschland or jbl
8.For this tank with the Aquaclear filter, Do I need extra aeration?
9.Do I put the plants before I start cycling or after? Prepare everything exept fish and animal.

Much Thanks,

Patty

Back
Top Bottom