Fahaka puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canisters are hard to clean IMO. If you want a canister, then go with a Fluval FX5. I would do at least 2 Aquaclear 110 HOB filters. Maybe a few circulation pumps to keep the water moving until the water reaches the HOB filters.

Overfiltration is nice to have, but the important part is weekly 50% water changes. I seriously notice the difference when I skip a weekly water change because I start seeing planaria and my water seems a little hazy. I drain the water with an aqueon water changer, then use it to fill the tank + use my garden hose to speed up the process with filling the tank up with water.

They have a 25' and a 50'. I got the 25' since my toilet is close to my tank room.

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I'm well informed before I start this! Can I use any kind of plants with him or will he destroy them?

If you have a young Fahaka, then they tend to bury which uproot plants.

Also when your fahaka chases down food, anything in its way will be moved. My fahaka chewed up any plant I put in his tank.

It comes down to your puffer and what he wants in his tank. I have read some reports of a Fahaka chewing up EVERYTHING in its tank.

Also I would recommend light substrate over darker substrate. My fahaka turns black with my black sand since these fish blend into the background.

Well that Is awesome advice I was going to get black sand but now I won't! Any chance I could get some pics of your tank whenever you get a chance to see what your set up is like?

img_2119585_0_304a7b55332c44090794c530d5e8eb72.jpg
img_2119585_1_0f748ec160d1f0037eb72b348250979c.jpg

Haha he's not camera shy it seems! What did you feed him when he was small?

Small pest snails from Petsmart and 1/2 raw shrimp. Sometimes worms and scallop meat.

Now I feed big Ramshorn snails from local hobbyist, full raw shrimp, scallop every other day.

Raw shrimp and scallop soaked in Vitachem (vitamins for fish) every time. My 16oz bottle of Vitachem will last me 1 year. Its good & cheap insurance for my fish to be healthy.

Feed them once daily until the tummy is slightly rounded as a youngster. You don't want the tummy to be the size of a half basketball, but 50% less fat than that. An overweight puffer is not a healthy puffer.

As your Fahaka grows, feed more during eat meal and feed less often.

Then when he reaches 6-9", then feed every other day.
Then when 9"-12", feed every 2-3 days.
12+" feed 2 times per week.

This is my own personal plan. Its VERY difficult to starve these fish, so don't feel bad if they aggressively beg for food. They are very aggressive during meal times when older - you can see this on some youtube videos.

Haha I know that's one of the reason why I want one. Is yours aggressive towards you? Can you stick your hand in the tank without worrying about him biting you?

I've always used tongs to hold the food in the water. No way am I ever sticking my finger near the water. It makes feeding less messy with the scallop and raw shrimp. I get pieces of snail shell everywhere after I throw them into the tank..

Back
Top Bottom