Fake or real

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheSmallFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wich is better for a 10 gallon beginner tank fake plants or real ones?

Real plants are not as difficult as you probably think. Do your homework and based off your tank. Find some easy plants too start with youll be glad you did.

Java fern, java moss, cyrpts, hornwort, anubias

Thanks a lot I am planning to get a 10 gallon tank on boxing day. Do you have any more advice maybe stocking ideas

Best advice I can give is research research research lol. Learn nitrogen cycle, bioload affects on aquariums, and the benefits of planted tanks.

If you can buy your tank, light, filter ect...separately vs a kit you will have a better start.
Keep it simple. Low light easy plants. Dont cut corners take your time. Throwing it together can lead to frustration and wasted money.

I had been out of hobby for awhile. My current tank (10g) probably took me 6 months to plan lol.

Thanks I have done 3 months of research. I have gone through the cycling. But I have not been able to make a stocking plan yet. Any suggestions on that? I will start with the kit but I will slowly get the necessitys separately.

10g unfortunately your limited because of the foot print.
Some of my favorite 10g fish.

Chili rasbora
Celestial pearl danios
Enbers tetras
Guppy/endlers

The chilis and cpd you could have a nice group of 10
Guppy/endler 5

I was thinking maybe 1 honey gourami 2 platies 2 guppies and 3 small corydoras is this over stocked?

Yes and other issues. Honey gourami, platies, and cories need bigger tank. Platies I believe are cold water and the others are tropical. Also you need to have the right amount per fish to reduce stress, aggresion, and for natural behavior. Cories need groups of 6. Not sure about platies.
You need to be thinking smaller on the fish side.

Other options.
Betta
There are several dwarf / micro rasbora

Dont forget shrimps depending on the fish you choose.

Also remember bioload. If you have plants and more than likely snails plus a few fish and maybe shrimp. Its alot. It sounds non active but you be surprised. I like my guppies but im all about the plants. Shrimp are cool. If I had no fish id be ok lol

I have done lots of research on platies they are tropical fish and don't need groups. And honey gourami are only 2 inches. Are ottos ok or no

Ottos need established tank with biofilm and algae or they will starve.

There are some dwarf cories. Problem is some people will say they are still too active for a 10 due to its foot print.

I love cories. I just have guppies, rcs, couple of ghosts, mts, pond, and ramshorns.

No not yet but I do want to. Can you tell me how you set that up? It is the best tank I have ever seen. So maybe 3 platies 3, guppies, 2 mollies, and some shrimp

No not yet but I do want to. Can you tell me how you set that up? It is the best tank I have ever seen. So maybe 3 platies 3, guppies, 2 mollies, and some shrimp
Idk no much about mollies. I think what you listed would be pushing it. Shrimp have very low bioload. You could have lots and lots lol.
Some people just use 10g for shrimp.

My tank setup
10g
Ac30
Rio 50
Ehiem jagger 50w
20in finnex stingray
Eco complete with a sand beach
Fluval mini co2
Cedar branch
Petrified wood, river rock, quartz

Here the hardscape 20160905_111924.jpg