Fake Plants/Flowers From JoAnn Fabrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheIrishJedi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I typically do not like the traditional fake aquarium plants as they look fake. But the plants from the fake flower aisle of JoAnn Fabrics not only look better, but are cheaper.

My concern is whether or not they are safe to stick in my tank and whether or not they will leach dyes and whatnot into the water.

I personally wouldn't trust them, and I know you shouldn't use any that have wire inside the stems. JMO- I tend to play it safe.

You can grow anubias, java fern, and java moss with standard normal output flourescent fixtures much of the time, if that interests you at all. :)

I remember shopping at Big Als aquarium superstore in Fort Lauderdale and then going to a silk flower section of a craft store later that week and seeing MANY of the EXACT SAME SILK & PLASTIC PLANTS for sale at the crafts store for about 10 percent of what they were asking at the aquarium store... Not similar plants, the exact same ones...

Use your judgement... If it looks like it may have paint that flakes off, that may not be a good thing... But if they look close enough to the plants at the fish stores, I would venture a guess they will work safely.

Back
Top Bottom