Fastest way to deal with a bacterial bloom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think this is the place to post this.
My old hob filter decided to die on me so I bought a canister filter. Of course since a the media is new I now have a bacterial bloom in my tank.
What would be the fastest way of dealing with this Water changes every day or adding beneficial bacteria?
My tank is 55 gallons with
10 black neons
1 female betta
3 female platys
4 otocinclus
And some fry

Try to add the old media since it may have a lot of inactive bacteria...
Other than that what you said is your best bet...
If you are going to buy bacteria get the live kind not the inactive kind..

Bacterial Blossom

I think this is the place to post this.
My old hob filter decided to die on me so I bought a canister filter. Of course since a the media is new I now have a bacterial bloom in my tank.
What would be the fastest way of dealing with this Water changes every day or adding beneficial bacteria?
My tank is 55 gallons with
10 black neons
1 female betta
3 female platys
4 otocinclus
And some fry

Hello Sara...

The problem with these blooms or blossoms is, not all the bacteria may be good. I would start changing more tank water and do it a little more often. A 30 percent water change every three to four days will do and perform it for a couple of weeks. Include vacuuming the bottom material too, but a small section at a time. If you've been keeping the tank water extra clean with large, weekly water changes, you should have nothing to worry about.

B

Thanks. I work long weird hours so I was hoping that I could do it without all the extra water changes. I guess I'll just have to do it for a while.

Back
Top Bottom