FC week 1 update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sibley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After finally getting my tank's ammonia content down to 4ppm (after a HUGE overdose) it has stayed at 4ppm for the week. Although it looked like it could have been 3ppm on days 7 and 8. The color green SEEMED lighter, but it was hard to tell for sure.

On day 8 I started testing for NitrItes and got a 1ppm reading. YAY! So, I really do have some bacteria in there trying to eat up that ammonia.

good luck. i would ask the lfs for a handful of gravel. that will speed up the cycle if you wish.

I did ask at one store and they said that is something they don't do.

Of course, they'd never heard of fishless cycling until I explained the process to them....

yea thats common. maybe try another store. when i first started i had someone claim i wasnt going to do anything with adding ammonia. that with that high of levels i need ot add fish right away lol there plenty of people who have no clue out there.

I go to the LFS including the big box stores and am amazed that they actually have employees know about the fishless cycle. They take the time to explain to customers what it is and what to expect. I have waited and waited for them to finish rather than interrupt. Some employee apologizes for making me wait and I always say no problem. Then I get the reject employee that tells me a common pleco is the same thing as a bristlenose.

I got a .5ppm ammonia reading today.

How much ammonia do I need to add to a 20gal tank to get it to 1ppm?

Not a whole lot,
Rounding off there is about roughly 1 million drops in 20 gallon tank.
Assuming your amonia source is 10% amonia like what I use.
5 drops would give you .5ppm in addition to the .5ppm you already have for a total of 1ppm

Back
Top Bottom