Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Felicity

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read on the food packaging to feed several times a day. I really don't want to overfeed--how many is "several" and how much at a time? I've just been feeding once a day at night only enough to be entirely gone within 5 minutes--am I starving my fish? Would they do better with more? So far, I think I've been successful because guppies are very forgiving, but I've added a couple other kinds that may be more sensitive, and I want to be sure they thrive. Help, please.

I thnk you're doing fine. I do the same as you, only once a day (I even skip a day occasionally) and just what they can eat in a few minutes.

Once a day for me too. I stagger the feeding time, but only for my own convenience, not for any other reason.

I also skip a day or two here and there.

remember that the fish food companies are trying to sell fish food. the more you feed, the quicker it goes, the more you need, the more they sell. i only feed once a day and skip a day once a week.

Thanks all--It's good to know I've been doing the right thing--I'll continue as I've been doing.

It's a generalised rule, but as with all generalisations there are exceptions and you shold read up on your specific fish's requirements.

For example, I'm looking into Discus. I have read and been advised that when they are juvies they need to be fed small amounts several times a day. So when the time comes, I'll buy a decent auto-feeder to take care of the feeding when I'm not there.

Fish have very small stomachs and a common cause of death is overfeeding. I usually feed my fish once per day and a very small amount. Every so often I will skip 2-3 days of feeding just because I have learned fasting periods can actually be very healthy for fish.

For example, I'm looking into Discus. I have read and been advised that when they are juvies they need to be fed small amounts several times a day.

This is true of many (most?) fry--they are growing so fast, they need to eat several times a day. But for adult fish, I think once a day is usually plenty. (Or, if you prefer, you can do it twice a day but only feed half as much as you otherwise would.)

Back
Top Bottom