Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robo-cop9000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 11 fish. 6 zebra danios and 5 neon tetras. How much should I feed them?

Hey Robo-cop. I feed every other day. Every day is fine, I have a high Nitrate issue at the moment. I only add a few granules at a time. When they are eaten, add a few more, and so on. As soon as they stop eating, I stop adding. I try not to let the food touch the substrate. If you have the room, some corycats, are great at moping up any left over food...

Hey Robo-cop. I feed every other day. Every day is fine, I have a high Nitrate issue at the moment. I only add a few granules at a time. When they are eaten, add a few more, and so on. As soon as they stop eating, I stop adding. I try not to let the food touch the substrate. If you have the room, some corycats, are great at moping up any left over food...

although this is good advice, i will add that some fish will continue to eat and eat, sometimes to the point of death. Whats mostly recommend is to feed them no more then what they can eat in 2 mins or less.

although this is good advice, i will add that some fish will continue to eat and eat, sometimes to the point of death. Whats mostly recommend is to feed them no more then what they can eat in 2 mins or less.
I agree. The method I use, is feeding in them in tiny amounts rather than putting the amount they need in, all in one go. You are right about my eatin and eating. My Columbian Tetras eat like piranhas...haha. I just observe and make sure everyone gets a bit, then I stop....

Feeding Your Fish

I have 11 fish. 6 zebra danios and 5 neon tetras. How much should I feed them?

Hello Ro...

Aquarium fish are small and the stomach of the fish is extremely small, roughly the size of one of their eyes. It doesn't take much to fill something that size, so you don't need to feed much or very often. If you do, you'll have water chemistry problems and eventually dead fish.

If you have fry in the tank, you need to feed a little a couple of times a day. For the adults, every other day is plenty and feed just a little. Frozen foods like brine and mysis shrimp, beef heart, bloodworms, krill and plankton are best. There aren't any additives in these. You can feed a small veggie biscuit sometimes too. But, don't feed very much.

Get some floating plants like Anacharis into the tank. The leaves are a good addition to the fishes' diet.

B

Back
Top Bottom