Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

feeding a cycled tank...

Well, I was so proud of the fact that I beat Neilanh out in cycling my new tank. Pride cometh before a fall...

I inherited a new fish a couple of weeks ago to save him from bad fish owners and he returned the favor by passing Ick along to the rest of the gang. Boo! I can honestly say I've never dealt with Ick in all my 7 years as a fish keeper.
Anyhoo, do I keep "feeding" my empty cycled tank until they are ready? I've been holdling it at 2ppm and as of today it is cycling that out in 12 hours. Should I keep it there or up the doseage of ammonia?
Also, how do I keep the hubs from adding tropicals to the new tank and thus condemning the Golds to the 35?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

Re: feeding a cycled tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by locorosa
Well, I was so proud of the fact that I beat Neilanh out in cycling my new tank. Pride cometh before a fall...
First off - that's not nice. But see what happened? that's called karma haha j/k

Quote:
Anyhoo, do I keep "feeding" my empty cycled tank until they are ready? I've been holdling it at 2ppm and as of today it is cycling that out in 12 hours. Should I keep it there or up the doseage of ammonia?
I would keep up exactly what you're doing. A little bit each day just supports the bacteria you have keeping them alive until you stock and have a constant supply from the fish.

Quote:
Also, how do I keep the hubs from adding tropicals to the new tank and thus condemning the Golds to the 35?
You should tear down your tank and wait until the ick clears up, then restart your cycle. That way I can get stocked before you

Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read the article on ICH. There are a few good ways to deal with it. The high temp one seems to come most recommended.

I think you wold want to keep dosing ammonia like neilanh has mentioned. Just don't go crazy with it. There is no need to really keep it as high as you once had it in your cycle. You might also try cutting your normal dose in half and adding it to the tank twice a day instead of only once.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kewl and thanks guys.
I am using the salt method and higher temps for them. We had to buy a heater for that tank anyway...
>
Old 01-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would keep your ammonia dosing where it is now. You can do a PWC if your nitrAtes get really high (say over 100ppm, I've never seen data on longterm effects of bacteria in high nitrAte conditions). That 2ppm in 12 hours will allow you to completely stock at once (depending on fish choice/size).
Old 01-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Sliced Bread

I still say you should tear your tank down and start over. haha

I do like Sparky's idea of 1/2 dose twice a day rather than 1 dose, seems to make a lot of sense, but I think either way will work for your purposes.

Tags
cycle, cycled, feeding, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com