Feeding advice - Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male Betta in a 5.5 gal tank with baffled filter. I was feeding him bloodworms, 1 to 2 worms twice a day. But I've been reading some other posts that recommend using pellets or flakes, and bloodworms only once a week! Can anyone help me with some advice on feeding? Each new article I find contradicts the last one!

I've heard too that Bettas can be more prone to bloating issues and in general it's advised to give frozen/freeze-dried foods as an occasional treat only. Just something I've read from various sources, but I figure better to play it safe. Personally I feed Omega one or Hikari betta pellets (NLS community pellets would work ok too), I give my betta 2-3 pellets twice per day. Once every week or two I'll give him a frozen bloodworm or shrimp, whenever I give my community tank a treat I'll give the betta a piece. On Sundays he gets a couple of small pieces of thawed frozen pea.

Personally I feed Omega one or Hikari betta pellets (NLS community pellets would work ok too), I give my betta 2-3 pellets twice per day. Once every week or two I'll give him a frozen bloodworm

+1 for this. I feed Hikari pellets morning and evening and supplement with a frozen bloodworm or 2 once per week when I thaw them for my community tanks.

I guess my betta gets spoiled... He's in a community tank with frogs so I give frozen food daily. He wont touch pellets or flakes. I use the Freshwater frozen variety packs that Petsmart sells, alternated with straight spirulina brine shrimp, so the tank gets bloodworms about once every 8 days.

Wow, is he ever into the Hikari pellets! Thanks for the advice. I tried the thawed frozen pea, but he couldn't have been less interested after he tried it a couple of times. He just kept spitting it back out, and then eventually just avoided it completely.I kept cutting off a tiny piece, dropping it in, and then scooping it out after he rejected it... After the 6th rejection or so, I just gave him the darn pellet.

Wow, is he ever into the Hikari pellets! Thanks for the advice. I tried the thawed frozen pea, but he couldn't have been less interested after he tried it a couple of times. He just kept spitting it back out, and then eventually just avoided it completely.I kept cutting off a tiny piece, dropping it in, and then scooping it out after he rejected it... After the 6th rejection or so, I just gave him the darn pellet.

So glad he likes the pellets. I have one Betta who loved them immediately, and another that took a week or more to eat them - he'd just spit them out. I had to soak them for a few minutes before feeding him, as I guess he prefers them softer. Now he'll swim right up to my fingers to find the pellets.

LOL Every fish is different. Mine likes the peas, I wasn't sure he would at first but he's a pig and will eat anything I give him. I have to cut them with my fingernail into very small pieces though (the size of a pinhead) or he'll have a piece of pea hanging out of his mouth for a while and he won't let it go until he chews it enough to swallow it (completely oblivious to the fact that I'm freaking out waiting for him to choke).

Back
Top Bottom