Female Black Mollies chasing eachother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenzie5216

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a tank when I was younger, but my dad helped me, and it was a smaller tank with neons, a beta, and some kind of bottom feeder. Currently I'm just getting started up again. I wanted to cycle my tank with Zebra Danios, however one of them had some kind of fungus, and I showed the fish lady, and didn't buy from that tank. I ended up getting two female Black Mollies, (they only had 2 females and 1 male otherwise I would have gotten males also they were in separate tanks so I don't think either is pregnant) and they're very active and healthy looking, however they keep chasing each other. They are in a 29 gallon tank, and they have places to hide. I know they are a schooling fish, and I will eventually need to get more, however right now i'm just trying to cycle, and establish the tank. I would also like to avoid getting males because I would like to avoid having to deal with fry, especially in a new tank. Will adding more mollies, or another type of fish help? Or are they just playing around and/or establishing dominance?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Could be dominance and more to a school will help. I had 3 in QT and one used to chase the others. All went into DT and this one tried it on a larger male and got 'told off'. Now they mostly seem fine. Mollies I've found will squabble but not to the death.

Sent by iPhone using AA

It actually just seems to be when there is food around. She just chased the other around. Without food they'll hide near the heater and swim together.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well its not only at feeding but mostly. She doesn't want the other fish to eat

Yes - I was getting that. In the DT with more fish they get no time and have to charge in or miss out :)

Sent by iPhone using AA

There is only the other black Molly in with her though. They were both introduced at three same time. I'm considering getting more and seeing if she calms down, or just taking her back and hoping to get calmer mollies. There aren't any male and she dedicatedly isn't male so unless she is pregnant I can't think of any reason for her to act aggressively except that that's just how she is. I'm just worried about the other Molly. I have a friend willing to take either but I was told by the people that sold her to me that they'll take her back, they said she would probably just bully any fish she was put with. Not that they can say for sure, and they could be wrong but my dad thinks that's the best thing and he's pretty experienced with mollies.

There is only the other black Molly in with her though. They were both introduced at three same time. I'm considering getting more and seeing if she calms down, or just taking her back and hoping to get calmer mollies. There aren't any male and she dedicatedly isn't male so unless she is pregnant I can't think of any reason for her to act aggressively except that that's just how she is. I'm just worried about the other Molly. I have a friend willing to take either but I was told by the people that sold her to me that they'll take her back, they said she would probably just bully any fish she was put with. Not that they can say for sure, and they could be wrong but my dad thinks that's the best thing and he's pretty experienced with mollies.

That's pretty good of them and problem solved. Sometimes I find they are just cranky. I've had the females charge through a school of rosy barbs and peck at bn catfish that they wanted to shift.

Sent by iPhone using AA

Support typos

Sorry* my gosh. But anyways I'm probably just taking her back

Back
Top Bottom