Few questions from a first timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RichD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy all,
I picked-up a used 10g tank for my daughter for Xmas. Never having owned fish before, we set it up under the advice/guidance of my local petsmart store. They instructed me to "cycle" the tank for ~72 hours before stocking.

Unfortunately, I found this site only after stocking the tank with a couple of mollies and a glo fish after the store tested the water insuring me it was ok to stock. So far everyone seems happy, eating and well (day 3).

So now that we are rolling along, I want some advice on where best to go from here....

I've got the recommended API Freshwater test kit on order, with an ample amount of strips in the meantime.

How often should I be changing the water?

Should I clean the gravel on the changes or let it "stew" a bit?

When can I add more fish?

I understand that Plecos are a "must-have", so when would be safe to add one (or two?) to the mix?

Any other things that I should get/know/do?

Thanks for the plethora (overwhelming at times) amount of info on this site!

Rich

:welcome:

Glad to have you here. I will first ask that you read this information: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

After you've looked it over, please come back and let us know what you might not understand and we'll help you and your fish through the process.

Plecos are not a "must have" and there are no pleco species that would do well in a 10 gallon tank. Do not add any more fish until your tank is completely cycled with readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates.

Howdy all,
I picked-up a used 10g tank for my daughter for Xmas. Never having owned fish before, we set it up under the advice/guidance of my local petsmart store. They instructed me to "cycle" the tank for ~72 hours before stocking.

Unfortunately, I found this site only after stocking the tank with a couple of mollies and a glo fish after the store tested the water insuring me it was ok to stock. So far everyone seems happy, eating and well (day 3).

So now that we are rolling along, I want some advice on where best to go from here....

I've got the recommended API Freshwater test kit on order,GOOD!
with an ample amount of strips in the meantime.

How often should I be changing the water?
I would change the water, since it's new, about 10% either everyday or every other day. It may seem like a lot but it really isn't...

Should I clean the gravel on the changes or let it "stew" a bit?
I wouldn't clean out the gravel much. Maybe go through it with a gravel cleaner once a week

When can I add more fish?
How many mollies do you have? Honestly, your stock isn't the best. Glo-Fish are much happier in a 20g... and the mollies as well! They are very messy and poo a lot! I'd try to return everything and do a fish-less cycle because it'd be much easier and the fish would be happier.

I understand that Plecos are a "must-have", so when would be safe to add one (or two?) to the mix?]Nope, this is wrong. The most seen pleco is the common pleco which can reach the size of 2ft!!! They need a 75g tank. For clean up crew I'd do some shrimp and snails or the smaller cories.

Any other things that I should get/know/do?
Take your time, and ask plenty of questions! We're happy to help!

Thanks for the plethora (overwhelming at times) amount of info on this site!

Rich

Answered above, sorry if it isn't the best news. It usually never is when beginning:p
Edit: LyndaB Beat me!!! Listen to her as well!

LyndaB's post is right on the money. The link provided there is something you need to read ASAP. "Cycling" is a WHOLE lot more than letting the tank run for 72 hours. That was a foolish bit of advice from your local petsmart.

Be very wary of ANY advice from the LFS. Get your information here, and ask lots of questions...here. Info from the pet stores (esp. the big ones) should be considered HIGHLY suspect as you have now discovered.

Hi and welcome.
I agree with the above advise but I would recommend a 50% water change using a dechlorinator every day. Mollies are high waste producers and your tank is over stocked.

I agree. If you can return the Mollies it might be best as you'll be constantly battling ammonia with Mollies in a 10 gal. Also Glofish should be in schools of at least six however they are very active fish and should be in a tank larger than a 10 gal IMO. I wouldn't add any more fish with your current stock however.

Back
Top Bottom