Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Few Quick Qn

Hi, was wondering if some1 could answer these few quick qn's I have:

1. How long should I age my water for?
2. I think I've read that if chlorimine is used to treat the tap water in your area, it won't evaporate by age'ing it. If this is true, does that mean I should mix de-chlorinator and also age it?
3. Is there a problem if rain water is mixed with the ageing water? From memory rain water is pretty much like distilled so it shouldn't matter.
4. I leave algae on my tank because it doesn't really bother me and people say it doesn't harm the fish. Just wondering is there any BENEFITS in leaving algae on the tank?

Cheers!

Old 04-12-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Well if polution is a problem I wouldnt use rainwater. Ickle chemicals.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just use tap with declorinator. Then it can be used right away. No need to let it "age".
I don't know of any benefits to having algae except maybe nitrate export.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Fluff. There is no need to age the water if you use dechlorinator. And actually, you should be using it if you have city water or your water is treated with chlorine. In regards to rain water, it's not really pure. Depending on what you are going to catch it in, it may come in contact with something else. Good ol tap water is good enough. I can't really think of any other benefit of having algae. Unless you have a pleco or another algae "eating" fish, you don't need it.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
You don't really have to age your water. Especially if your water treatment system uses chloramine, you have to use dechlor. As far as rain water, I would run it through some carbon before adding to your tank to remove any contaminants, especially if you live in a large metro area or near industry.
Algae is cool to leave in your tank, it can help lower nitrates and gives your fish a good source of plant foodstuffs. If youre lucky, you can get nice green algae and not the black, red or slime yuck that covers and destroys everything (like at my house )

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to megos1
Okay def. use tap water and add a dechlorinator. This is the best way to go. As far as the algae goes, it's perfectly fine to leave there. (I would wipe it off of course when it gets too thick you can't see the fish!) 8)
Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh ok cool. thx guys. its just once I think I read a reason for age'ing is that when you add dechlorinator, it starves the fish of oxygen, and reading that coincided with me noticing that my fish were gasping for air when I used it 8O oh well, it's probably that I mustve overdosed the dechlorinator by accident.

ahh... thx for that dr_girlfriend for that algae info (and you other guys too! ). I generally just like to leave it (since it could be useful for something like taking up excessive nutrients, etc) and I just wipe the front glass pane so I can see my fish

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com