Fiddler Crab Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, here is the tank I plan to start my half water, half land fiddler crab and bumblebee goby brackish build. It's disgusting... I have my work cut out for me! It's 36 in long X 12 in wide X 18 in deep. The people I got it from said they thought it was a 30 gal (I feel like it's bigger, but I'm not good at eyeballing these kind of things).

Here are my initial questions.
1. I would really like to paint it black. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any problem painting the base, but can you paint the plastic thing that covers the seams? I'm not crazy about the wood grain.
2. I want to have easy live plants. I've been doing some research, but I would love for someone to give me a suggestion (as in, a link) to a fixture that is appropriate for low light, as well as inexpensive. I would like a link because whenever I ask anyone about this I get a lot of language and abbreviations and such that I don't understand. :) Just tell me what to get! See above for parameters.
3. I have heard about the tetra whisper filters, and am looking into getting one. I was planning to "seed" my tank from my existing 36 gal. Do I just stick the filter media in the filter anywhere? Or does it go in front of or behind? Is there a trick to it? Haha.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I feel confident that I can do this even in my inexperience because I have all the expertise of the AA members! :)

Just remember that fidler crabs have to have a way to get on land. They cannot be under water all the time. Maybe you already knew that.

Just remember that fidler crabs have to have a way to get on land. They cannot be under water all the time. Maybe you already knew that.

Yep, and I'm excited to do a tank that is half land. I like that it's different from the normal tank. I'm super excited!

Yeah you started the thread! Sounds like we have a similar plan. The java moss sounds perfect for my idea.

Thanks for the start by the way. I hope you don't mind if I snatch some info. The dimensions are a 29 gal tank.

I'm getting discouraged about the lighting. I keep doing research and can't find a hood for less than $100. I really don't need to spend that much! I feel like I may be trying to get ones that are stronger than I need. After all, I am doing low light plants. Any suggestions?

I'm getting discouraged about the lighting. I keep doing research and can't find a hood for less than $100. I really don't need to spend that much! I feel like I may be trying to get ones that are stronger than I need. After all, I am doing low light plants. Any suggestions?
java mos is really low light:)

What type of hood are you looking for? all glass or one with a lamp in it? I know next to nothing about plants, the only ones i have are several banana plants and an anubis. I only have regular florecient lighting and they are thriving. I was doing a search for hoods and lighting as well because it's the one thing I did not receive with my tank. Here are some I was looking at Aquarium Lighting & Hoods: All-Glass Deluxe Fluorescent Full Hoods - Black http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3731+3781&pcatid=3781

I am toying going with an open top, or maybe full glass.

Last edited:
I am going to have to have a glass top, as I have cats who love to try to get their paws into fish tanks! The tank I got has a hood, I'm just not sure that it's good enough lighting for plants. The bulb is flo. and says 20W T8. It's only 24 inches, and the tank is 36. I would worry about the light reaching the bottom. Would it be possible to use this hood with a more powerful flo. bulb?

Oooohhh I didn't think of my cat. She loves to stick he paws in the water when she can.

My son's 55gal has two flo lamps that come in. short of covering the whole thing. I think it would be ok for low level. I can ask in the planted forum. Also I know it all depends on the plant type you choose. I was thinking of doing a planted tank for a while but then was discouraged by lighting and CO2 systems. Over my head.

As for the wattage of the bulb there might be some kind of tag on the light itself that states the max wattage. Maybe you could google it.

Update: Cleaning out the nasty tank. I have never seen so many fish bones... Apparently the people that had this tank had cichlids that they stopped feeding, filtering, etc. So of course, the cichlids fed themselves with the other fish in the tank. It is disgusting. I've only had it in my house since last night, and from scooping out the gravel it is making my whole house smell like dead fish. Yuck. I have to get it done today because I can't stand it!

Oooohhh I didn't think of my cat. She loves to stick he paws in the water when she can.

My son's 55gal has two flo lamps that come in. short of covering the whole thing. I think it would be ok for low level. I can ask in the planted forum. Also I know it all depends on the plant type you choose. I was thinking of doing a planted tank for a while but then was discouraged by lighting and CO2 systems. Over my head.

As for the wattage of the bulb there might be some kind of tag on the light itself that states the max wattage. Maybe you could google it.

Thanks, I will check out the hood. I'm thinking about painting the stand, and if so the hood is ugly brown and won't match. So I may end up with a new hood anyway. :)

TheMurrays said:
Update: Cleaning out the nasty tank. I have never seen so many fish bones... Apparently the people that had this tank had cichlids that they stopped feeding, filtering, etc. So of course, the cichlids fed themselves with the other fish in the tank. It is disgusting. I've only had it in my house since last night, and from scooping out the gravel it is making my whole house smell like dead fish. Yuck. I have to get it done today because I can't stand it!

That is uh.... Awfully gross :)

Back
Top Bottom