Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fiddler Crab Build

Ok, here is the tank I plan to start my half water, half land fiddler crab and bumblebee goby brackish build. It's disgusting... I have my work cut out for me! It's 36 in long X 12 in wide X 18 in deep. The people I got it from said they thought it was a 30 gal (I feel like it's bigger, but I'm not good at eyeballing these kind of things).

Here are my initial questions.
1. I would really like to paint it black. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any problem painting the base, but can you paint the plastic thing that covers the seams? I'm not crazy about the wood grain.
2. I want to have easy live plants. I've been doing some research, but I would love for someone to give me a suggestion (as in, a link) to a fixture that is appropriate for low light, as well as inexpensive. I would like a link because whenever I ask anyone about this I get a lot of language and abbreviations and such that I don't understand. Just tell me what to get! See above for parameters.
3. I have heard about the tetra whisper filters, and am looking into getting one. I was planning to "seed" my tank from my existing 36 gal. Do I just stick the filter media in the filter anywhere? Or does it go in front of or behind? Is there a trick to it? Haha.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I feel confident that I can do this even in my inexperience because I have all the expertise of the AA members!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Crap... pics didn't work. Try this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...y/IMG_5015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...y/IMG_5016.jpg

Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just remember that fidler crabs have to have a way to get on land. They cannot be under water all the time. Maybe you already knew that.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

java moss is a plant that can go in brackish
Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
Just remember that fidler crabs have to have a way to get on land. They cannot be under water all the time. Maybe you already knew that.
Yep, and I'm excited to do a tank that is half land. I like that it's different from the normal tank. I'm super excited!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alLexX View Post
java moss is a plant that can go in brackish
Thank you! I've heard that it is pretty hardy as well. I'm planning on finding some when the time comes.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah you started the thread! Sounds like we have a similar plan. The java moss sounds perfect for my idea.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiweeangel View Post
Yeah you started the thread! Sounds like we have a similar plan. The java moss sounds perfect for my idea.
Yep! Going to start the long cleaning process today. Wish me luck!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the start by the way. I hope you don't mind if I snatch some info. The dimensions are a 29 gal tank.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Thanks for the start by the way. I hope you don't mind if I snatch some info. The dimensions are a 29 gal tank.
Not at all! Help yourself!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm getting discouraged about the lighting. I keep doing research and can't find a hood for less than $100. I really don't need to spend that much! I feel like I may be trying to get ones that are stronger than I need. After all, I am doing low light plants. Any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some brackish plants. I will have to cross reference to see it which are low level lighting.

BracPlants
Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurrays View Post
I'm getting discouraged about the lighting. I keep doing research and can't find a hood for less than $100. I really don't need to spend that much! I feel like I may be trying to get ones that are stronger than I need. After all, I am doing low light plants. Any suggestions?
java mos is really low light
Old 08-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of hood are you looking for? all glass or one with a lamp in it? I know next to nothing about plants, the only ones i have are several banana plants and an anubis. I only have regular florecient lighting and they are thriving. I was doing a search for hoods and lighting as well because it's the one thing I did not receive with my tank. Here are some I was looking at Aquarium Lighting & Hoods: All-Glass Deluxe Fluorescent Full Hoods - Black http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...81&pcatid=3781

I am toying going with an open top, or maybe full glass.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to have to have a glass top, as I have cats who love to try to get their paws into fish tanks! The tank I got has a hood, I'm just not sure that it's good enough lighting for plants. The bulb is flo. and says 20W T8. It's only 24 inches, and the tank is 36. I would worry about the light reaching the bottom. Would it be possible to use this hood with a more powerful flo. bulb?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oooohhh I didn't think of my cat. She loves to stick he paws in the water when she can.

My son's 55gal has two flo lamps that come in. short of covering the whole thing. I think it would be ok for low level. I can ask in the planted forum. Also I know it all depends on the plant type you choose. I was thinking of doing a planted tank for a while but then was discouraged by lighting and CO2 systems. Over my head.

As for the wattage of the bulb there might be some kind of tag on the light itself that states the max wattage. Maybe you could google it.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update: Cleaning out the nasty tank. I have never seen so many fish bones... Apparently the people that had this tank had cichlids that they stopped feeding, filtering, etc. So of course, the cichlids fed themselves with the other fish in the tank. It is disgusting. I've only had it in my house since last night, and from scooping out the gravel it is making my whole house smell like dead fish. Yuck. I have to get it done today because I can't stand it!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Oooohhh I didn't think of my cat. She loves to stick he paws in the water when she can.

My son's 55gal has two flo lamps that come in. short of covering the whole thing. I think it would be ok for low level. I can ask in the planted forum. Also I know it all depends on the plant type you choose. I was thinking of doing a planted tank for a while but then was discouraged by lighting and CO2 systems. Over my head.

As for the wattage of the bulb there might be some kind of tag on the light itself that states the max wattage. Maybe you could google it.
Thanks, I will check out the hood. I'm thinking about painting the stand, and if so the hood is ugly brown and won't match. So I may end up with a new hood anyway.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank clean out is done!!! It only took about 5 hours... And I'm so glad it's over!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurrays
Update: Cleaning out the nasty tank. I have never seen so many fish bones... Apparently the people that had this tank had cichlids that they stopped feeding, filtering, etc. So of course, the cichlids fed themselves with the other fish in the tank. It is disgusting. I've only had it in my house since last night, and from scooping out the gravel it is making my whole house smell like dead fish. Yuck. I have to get it done today because I can't stand it!
That is uh.... Awfully gross

Tags
brackish, build, build thread, bumblbee goby, crab, fiddler, fiddler crab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com