Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Figure Eight Puffer

I've been wanting to get one of these guys for a while but have a few questions.

1. I have heard mixed reviews on if they are good with as a community fish. I have a few black phantom tetra's and was curious if anyone else has kept one with any tetra's and if it did well?

2. What would be the minimum tank size for one of these guys? I heard they can grow quite big but other sites list them as very small. I was planning to get a 7 gallon bow for my desk, but will that be too small?

3. Any other points of interest or advice on these guys that anyone has would be appreciated!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Pleco Send a message via Yahoo to Pleco
I think 7 gallons is too small. They are not community fish by any means, they are quite aggressive and will probably eat your tetras for a quick snack. They are also brackish if i remember correctly.

-Pleco

Old 08-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

A figure 8 puffer need a minimum of 15 gallons and generally speaking puffers are best kept as singletons or as a species only tank. Another thing about the F8 puffers is they really do best as a brackish water fish (SG~1.005-1.008) and tetras and other FW fish will not fare well in a BW setup.
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info so far, I've read a lot of contradicting info about them. One person says they do best in FW another says they are SW only then another says BW is the best. One lists 3 inches as as big as they get, another says they get to 8 inches.

Very confusing stuff.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
a minor question/added suggestion if you want a puffer. what about the dwarf puffers? im not sure the excact name but they arn't F8 saw them at petsmart the other day tiny little guys sheet said they grew to 1-1.5 inches max
Old 08-24-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I love figure 8 puffers, have kept them successfully several times, but always in brackish water, which your tetras won't dig at all. I have also kept a figure 8 in a 2.5 gallon tank by itself before (actually, I might have had 2-3 bublebee gobies in there too), and it did fine, but I really recommend at least 10 gallons, and more like 20 gallons for a figure 8, especially if you want to keep other fish in with it.

I have found figure 8 puffers to be very individual in their personalities, more so than most fish I have kept except for cichlids. Though they have a reputation for being very aggresive, and I have had aggressive ones, most of the ones I have kept were pretty peaceful. I have also had ones that will take flake, and ones that won't eat anything but dry krill, or shrimp pellets, or frozen blood worms.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
they are a brackish fish, although when young can live and thrive in freshwater. find out what kinda water the petstore keeps them in, incase say the petstore keeps an adult in freshwater, you buy him, and put him in a brackish tank, he will die, the change needs to be subtle, adding so much salt at a time.

brackish fish are great in the sense that they look more exotic like saltwater fish, but are easy to maintain like freshwater fish. puffers in general are jerks, some people find it amazing that they can breed even in the wild, because a male puffer will even consider a female a threat, and will chase her off.

im not 100% sure, but if you want other bw fish that can hold their own, aim for dragon gobies, silver fin sharks, black fin sharks, and sometimes chromides, (although they are more peaceful, the female will chase away the male sometimes)
Old 08-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip_lx
a minor question/added suggestion if you want a puffer. what about the dwarf puffers? im not sure the excact name but they arn't F8 saw them at petsmart the other day tiny little guys sheet said they grew to 1-1.5 inches max
Dwarf puffers should be in species only tanks. They're very aggressive for being so small and will pester other tankmates to death.

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/ for all info about dwarf puffers.

I know this doesn't address the OP's question, but I think others have done that.

Tags
figure eight puffer, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com