Filter Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

P2PDAVE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a used 28 gallon bow front tank and it came with a Penguin Bio Wheel 150 filter and a sponge filter. I need to buy new filter refills and a bio wheel. Should I upgrade to a better filter or just buy the refills? I don't mind spending a little money but I would like to get the best filter for this tank.

If you would like the best filter look into getting a canister filter rated at 200gph or more. A fluval 206 or 306 might be a good place to start.

In addition to a canister, keep the penguin biowheel, but don't worry about buying anything for it. Keep the penguin on the tank and stuff some filter floss in the reservior. You can use this as seeded media (after a few weeks if you need to) also easily add temporary media to your tank (typically some type of chemical media) if you need to. Also, if you ever need to add medication or chemicals directly to your tank you can dump them in the reservior instead of in the tank, where your fish will expect it to be food. Might not be a good thing for the fish to eat.

It will also help to aerate your water by creating surface agitation, allowing you to direct the flow from teh canister return anywhere in the tank and not just to the surface.

it will also act as a temporary back up in case the canister fails for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom