Filter Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melika2928

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently moved three of my Bettas into larger tanks, but they didn't come with filters. Filters can be so expensive these days, so I was wondering if anyone knows a good DIY filter I can do, or if someone knows where I can get a filter for cheap. I have a 2 gallon, a three gallon, and a 5 gallon. My Betta in the 2 gallon has a permanent Swim Bladder disorder, and I don't want to make swiming too difficult fo her either. Please Help!

Hello Mel...

You can bypass the filtration in your small tanks. If the tanks are close together you can use one air pump and run a length of tubing into each tank. Attach the end of the tubing down the side of each tank and use a small suction cup to secure the tube to the side. Plug in the air pump and you should have good water movement on the surface of each tank. This will keep oxygen in the tank water and allow carbon dioxide to escape.

Now, you'll need to change half the tank water in each tank daily. But, the tanks are small. The process shouldn't take long. The large, frequent water changes and strong aeration will take the place of the filter.

Have a water testing kit handy to check the level of ammonia and nitrite. I'm betting the aggressive water change routine will guarantee pure water conditions for your fish.

B

Go with sponge filters. You can find a lot of info on how to make them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom