Filter and plant suggestions for 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've decided to purchase and set up a 29 gallon (30" wide, 12" deep, 18" high) freshwater tropical tank. I haven't maintained an aquarium since I was a child (about 30 years ago), so I consider myself something of a newb. After reading up on the proper way to set up and maintain an aquarium, I'm a bit embarrassed of what I did back in the 1980s (goldfish in a 10-gallon tank, no establishment of the ammonia cycle, biannual heavy tank cleanings instead of weekly water changes). Bad, bad, bad.

Anyway, I've decided that I'd like to stock my new aquarium with the following. My understanding is that these species are compatible and relatively easy:

8 Bloodfin Tetras
10 Neon Tetras
4 Sterbai Cory

I have a couple of questions...

(1) Can anybody suggest a couple of types/brands/models of filters that would work well for this setup? (Keeping in mind that the aforementioned tetras are not fans of turbulent water.) I don't have much of a recollection of what type of filters that I used back when I was 10, and they probably weren't very good anyway. I know that many folks recommend BIO-wheel filters, but am not sure how the alternatives stack up.

(2) My understanding is that Bloodfins and Neons like heavily-planted tanks, so I plan on accommodating them. I've never stocked a tank with live plants. Can anyone recommend plants that are easy and will work well with these fish?

Thanks in advance.

Jungle val, swords, dwarf sag.

May the force be with you.

I have a SunSun 302 canister on my 29g. It's stocked with Cherry Barbs, Glass Catfish, Cories, and an Albino Bristlenose. The plants I chose require low to med light as I have an LED fixture not truly intended for growing plants but is working great. Bacopa caroliniana, Amazon sword, Cryptocoryne, and Anubias can all be bought at Petsmart.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405668628.425564.jpg
I leave the lights on 10-12 hours and dose with ferts weekly; I use API products but there are many to choose from.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aquaclear filters are excellent filters, try a thirty gallon version. For plants, tiger lotus are good, amazon sword plants are good, and java moss is better. Be sure to get a plant growing light, and do some sort of fertilization. You won't have plants for very long otherwise.

If you're going to get am aquaclear? Either 2 50 ' s or one 70 will do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aquaclear filters are excellent filters, try a thirty gallon version. For plants, tiger lotus are good, amazon sword plants are good, and java moss is better. Be sure to get a plant growing light, and do some sort of fertilization. You won't have plants for very long otherwise.

I second this. I run an AC 30 on a 29 gallon and the water is crystal clear.

Good flow is key in a planted tank, i have ac 20-70, i can promise a 3 month old ac 30 will be borderline stagnating on a 29 gal tank.. one 50 would be ok/acceptable but I like to see all my plants gently moving in the flow... i have one ac 30 and one ac 50 on a heavily planted 20 tall and it's not enough..

Brookster, what causes the reduced flow in the AquaClear filters? I've had my 50 running in my 29 gal tank for a month now, just want to know what to look out for.

Brookster, what causes the reduced flow in the AquaClear filters? I've had my 50 running in my 29 gal tank for a month now, just want to know what to look out for.

Just gets gunked up, i break them down, give them a good scrub and rinse, i even run the motor in a bowl of hot water, it helps... i feel like they never get back to the first months performance though..

Thank you all for the input/suggestions.

It seems that a lot of folks like the AquaClear filters, so I may try an AC 50. My tetras, who do not like fast water flow, will likely appreciate the re-filtration technology. If the filtration/oxygenation becomes inadequate, I can always upgrade.

Thanks also for the plant-related suggestions. I'm probably going to do low/medium light and will make sure that I get an appropriate light source. Jason, that is a really cool-looking setup. Thanks for sharing.

Good flow is key in a planted tank, i have ac 20-70, i can promise a 3 month old ac 30 will be borderline stagnating on a 29 gal tank.. one 50 would be ok/acceptable but I like to see all my plants gently moving in the flow... i have one ac 30 and one ac 50 on a heavily planted 20 tall and it's not enough..

I have a 6 month old 30 on a 29 gallon aquarium. I clean it regularly, and its only problem is that it is a little finicky about the startup after it has been off for a while (power outages and such)

I think you'll be more satisfied with a canister filter. I also have an Aqua Clear on my 24g but the canister on the 29g is equipped with a spray bar and I angled it slightly upward to agitate the surface. You won't have that kind of flow control with an AC.

Back
Top Bottom